What type of music would you put in a video game?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by JoeyBurdick, Dec 16, 2003.

1. JoeyBurdick

JoeyBurdick Auditioning

~ and what kind of game would it be? I thought Activision did a good job of choosing the music for T.H.U.G. because they chose a lot of the artists I would have wanted to use (for the list just go to thugonline-dot-com). But I have other ideas for music in video games too. There are composers I’d like to hear, like Vangelis or Hanz Zimmer doing the music for a sci-fi or RPG game. Don’t even get me started on rap and rock groups for extreme sports games, but like I said, they did it pretty much the way I would have for Tony Hawk's Underground.

2. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Interesting question.

As I recall, the composer for Metal Gear Solid 2 was the same guy who did the incidental music for The Rock and other such films.

Now that games' budgets are getting higher, the quality and breadth of the music should be improving. I think T.H.U.G. did a good job. The music in SSX3 is also quite good.

Unfortunately, the propensity for a glut of identical, sound-a-like nu rock acts has been another result of the growth of video game music licensing.

I would personally love to hear more indie rock, trance, and post punk new wave on game soundtracks, but that's my bias. It will never happen. Although, can someone confirm that the Gamecube's '1080 Avalanche' licensed a bunch of emo rock? I heard that somewhere (on IGN I think).

Something great about Xbox (although I don't own one) is the customizable soundtrack option on most of its games, including T.H.U.G. Nothing like being able to skate around to some Faithless, or Joy Division, or The Cure.

3. JoeyBurdick

JoeyBurdick Auditioning

Yeah ~ Xbox rules.

You're right about the sound-alike nu metal rock groups... I could do without 'em. However, I think you're wrong about one thing ~ there WILL be a lot more indie music in games. I don't know if you've played Max Payne 2, but the song used in the closing credits is like nothing you'll hear in any other game. It's a great song ~ very melodic, poetic, and TOTALLY unexpected for a game of this nature. Games, like movies, are becoming more of a sophisticated artform and, like you said, with larger budgets and technological advancements, are allowing for a more diverse range of settings, situations, effects and even music. I think it won't be long before the music you want to hear will be in a lot more games. Here's to hoping, anyway.

4. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    As a long time fan of metal, (hey I grew up in the 80's!!!), I can't stand it much in video games.

Quake II was horrid. I played the entire game with the music off. Great game with a poor choice of soundtrack.

Personally, I find all the atmospheric stuff to be MUCH more powerful than most typical music, although it definitely depends on the type of game.

I think SSX3 has a great soundtrack and, I usually play it with "DJ Atomika" and the soundtracks, being played. Every now and then I go for a "Zen...thing" and leave on just the atmospheric sounds of the mountain. Nice change of pace.

Personally, I think that music was, in the past, overlooked for it's importance. It's getting better all the time in gaming.

Think about this; music can invoke a real emotional response from people; fear, happiness, sadness, excitement, without being able to been seen, touched, tasted, or smelled...only heard.

That's pretty powerful stuff!

It should be taken seriously when it's being put into a game. Just my opinion, of course. [​IMG]

5. Alanna

Alanna Second Unit

I hate this whatever you want to call it - "nu-rock" so I find myself shutting off the music totally in alot of games these days. SSX3 is painful, Project Gotham Racing might be even worse. Jet Grind Radio Future drove me absolutely insane. Tony Hawk's music has always been horrible. I much prefer those games that have "custom" music made for them like back in the "good ol days" like Lunar: Silver Star Story, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasies, but Castlevania: Symphony of the Night takes the cake for me. Its simply the best, and Lament of Innocence is damn good too in the audio department. Metroid Prime is another example of good mood music that listenable. I don't really like music with "lyrics" interrupting my video game experience but then along came Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and it dazzled me with the 80s soundtrack but it wasn't overkill because it was only audible when you were in a car. Dead or Alive: Extreme Beach Volleyball was another pleasant exception. I liked most of the songs (except the horrible songs by that one band...can't remember the name) plus I could add in a few of my own to spice up things.

Eerrr so basically I'd like to hear more music composed JUST for the video game and no more of this licensed crap. Unless it fits and is tolerable, or there's a wide enough selection for everyone. I can deal with dance music or hip hop even (even though I dont like em that much) but nu-rock is not tolerable!

6. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Depends on the game. Orchestral a la Halo when there is a compelling story being told. Custom tracks on Xbox for racing games.

7. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

Definitely depends on the game. For adventerous type stuff (RPG's, story based shooters like Half Life, etc.), I prefer just environmental sounds. If there has to be music, something ambient that fits in with the mood and doesn't stick out. Medal of Honor: Allied Assult has a fantastic score. Wasn't ambient or anything, but it was very heroic and I thought it fit well in that respect.

For racing type games, or anything semi sim based, I also prefer no music. I just want to hear the sound of the engine and whatnot.

Brian