What type of interior door is best for keeping the sound in?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Dan Brown, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Dan Brown

Dan Brown Auditioning

What's being used out there?

Thanks

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

The heaviest and best sealed m-fing door and frame you can find.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Elaborating on what Chris said, you want a solid core door. Fully sealing it all the way around with weather stripping, including an airtight threshold, will make a noticeable difference as well. However, that will also get you some air conditioning issues – i.e., you will have to have both an air outlet and return vent in the room.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

This will be the weakest link in most rooms as it's such a big hole to "close". Wayne brings up a great point - the tighter the room is the more important your ventilation system will become. With a few bodies in an enclosed space (and equipment if that's where your rack is located) it will get stuffy and uncomfortable quick if there's nowhere for the air to go.

I attended an HTF meet a couple of years back where we went to the Widescreen Review office and had a demo of their reference theater. The door they are using is probably a foot thick. When that thing is shut there is ZERO sound coming out of the that room. At best I heard a very subdued thump from the subs, about as intense as dropping a balled up sock on a solid floor. When the door opened Air Force One was blasting at reference level. It was amazing. That is a room where no corners were cut and essentially no limitations were placed so it can be perfectly isolated from the rest of the building.

5. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

I'm using a solid wood commercial type exterior door. Even with a totally sealed door jamb, It's the weak point in my sound isolation. It's not bad, but it's not as great as I'd like either. I might add a layer of Mass Loaded Vinyl to the inside of the door to help further. I'm getting about 27dB of isolation right now.

6. Dan Brown

Dan Brown Auditioning

Thanks for the info, guys. I'm going to look into getting a solid-core fiberglass exterior door. The weather stripping should really help too. The HT has 4 large registers and a return air. The HT and garage will be sharing a 2.5 ton Bryant Puron heat pump.