What's new

What type of insulation should I use for HT wall? (1 Viewer)

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
Building a wall in my basement to close off a room for a HT and the contractor asked what kind of insulation I wanted. He told me about a sponge type insulation which was a bit more money, but might be worth it as far as getting better sound. What do you all think? Would one type of insulation be better than another in trying to achieve the best possible sound? The rest of the wall is going to be wood studs and drywall if that matters.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Building contractors don't know about sound quality. (not to be rude or anything, but if you're *very* lucky, you'll get one that knows about sound isolation, which is distinctly different from in-room acoustics.

What you put in the wall won't make much difference at all for the acoustics of your space and the sound quality. If you want to isolate your room acoustically from the rest of the house, that's a different matter entirely, and in any case, in-wall insulation is only a small part of doing a properly isolated room.

Andrew Stoakley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Stoakley
Hey Tod,

I used the Roxul's Safe N's Sound batts for my walls - they make them for both wood and steel studs. I also used it for my second row seating platform.

Cheers,
Andrew

KenA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken Appell
If you're looking to block sound and isolate the room, the more dense the material the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks