What type of insulation should I use for HT wall?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Todd smith, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

Building a wall in my basement to close off a room for a HT and the contractor asked what kind of insulation I wanted. He told me about a sponge type insulation which was a bit more money, but might be worth it as far as getting better sound. What do you all think? Would one type of insulation be better than another in trying to achieve the best possible sound? The rest of the wall is going to be wood studs and drywall if that matters.

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Building contractors don't know about sound quality. (not to be rude or anything, but if you're *very* lucky, you'll get one that knows about sound isolation, which is distinctly different from in-room acoustics.

What you put in the wall won't make much difference at all for the acoustics of your space and the sound quality. If you want to isolate your room acoustically from the rest of the house, that's a different matter entirely, and in any case, in-wall insulation is only a small part of doing a properly isolated room.

3. Andrew Stoakley

Andrew Stoakley Stunt Coordinator

Hey Tod,

I used the Roxul's Safe N's Sound batts for my walls - they make them for both wood and steel studs. I also used it for my second row seating platform.

Cheers,
    Andrew

4. KenA

KenA Stunt Coordinator

Ken Appell
    If you're looking to block sound and isolate the room, the more dense the material the better.

5. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

Great. Thanks for the help guys.