What's new

What type of front projector is for me? (1 Viewer)

Billy Gun

Stunt Coordinator
I'm considering a front projector setup.....

What type/brand/model# of projector would give me the most "Bang for the buck" if I were to use it primarily for watching letterbox DVD's and HDTV siganals.

I have about a $6000 budgeted for the total setup. (projector, screen, line doubler if needed, HDTV receiver.)

Suggestions.......?

VicRuiz

Second Unit
You should be able to get a used Marquee 8000 CRT projector with 3000 hours or less on the tubes, for about $3000. Coupled with an HTPC for DVD's and an HDTV receiver, it will give you a picture to die for on a screen up to 96" wide. Your $6000 budget should get you everything you need for a sweet CRT setup that will knock everyone's socks off. I know, I have one. :D

Billy Gun

Stunt Coordinator
How many hours are typical before you need to buy a new bulb if they already have 3000 hours on them?

Are they hard to setup?

Who could set it up for me, and at what cost?

Where should I look for these at?

???

David Abrams

Stunt Coordinator
Billy Gun,
I am an ISF Calibrationist/Setup Technician who does work down in Pennsylvania. If you are interested in my services feel free to contact me via email at [email protected] or call at 607-279-3728.
Good Luck,
David Abrams
ISF Calibrationist
Precision Theater Consultants

VicRuiz

Second Unit
Who could set it up for me said:
Go to the CRT Projectors forum at www.avsforum.com and search for the name Curt Palme. You will find dozens of positive references for him. He is very well respected and will give you a very good deal on a used CRT.
This is my recommendation for those $6000:
8" CRT projector $2500-$3000
Screen $500
HTPC $1000
HDTV receiver $500
Setup $500-$1000
Spend the remainder on a bunch of DVD's. :D

VicRuiz

Second Unit
When you use front projection on large screens, a scaler is a must. Good scalers are expensive, (anywhere from $2000 to $20,000). HTPC stands for Home Theater Personal Computer. This is basically any computer with specific types of video and sound cards which, coupled with a software DVD player, allows you to scale your DVD's to the high resolutions you must use with front projectors, for a fraction of the price of a stand-alone scaler.
To play DVD's on a front projector, an HTPC is currently not only the best solution available but also the least expensive. It could cost you even a lot less if you already have a capable computer (at least 500Mhz, 128MB RAM). All you would need to do is buy a new video card (ATI Radeon LE, $75), sound card (Soundblaster Live, $50) and you're set to go.

Mike Friedrich

Stunt Coordinator
Bill, you might want to read the article on the new Sharp VX-Z9000U in the Jan. 2002 issue of Home Theater. Kevin Miller of HT claims that it is one of the best values in high-end front projection to date, it's a little more than what you're willing to spend, but the article might be worth your while to read, good luck.
bodymov'n :cool:

VicRuiz

Second Unit
A little more? I'd say! List price is $10,995 and you still have to get all the other equipment.

CaspianM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Moe
I own a CRT which got last April.

While you will need an HTPC to run your DVDs, you still can use a Progressive DVD player. However for best results a processor or HTPC should improve the pic by a wide margin.

I just looked at the Sharp last night. While it has a very bright and sharp pic, it still represents a pic that is very much cartoonish. Sharp should be a good pick if one has to pick a bulb projector.

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
There is one thing that I wonder about about these recommendations for a used CRT front projector. Where are all of them coming from? If they are such great projectors, why are people getting rid of them for such low prices?

VicRuiz

Second Unit
CRT projectors were never manufactured for the home theater market. They were intended for commercial and professional applications (presentations, screening rooms, and the like). Universities, corporations, government agencies, all used CRT projectors for these purposes. What's happening now is that all these entities are switching to digital projectors because they fit their requirements better. Ultimate picture quality is not a major consideration (nor should it be) in a corporate boardroom or a college classroom. Brightness and ease of use and set-up are the primary concerns there. As a result, all these entities are simply dumping their CRT's (sometimes even for free) and replacing them with digital. This has created a boom market for used CRT projectors for the past year or two. There are people that specialize in finding these bulk bargains, getting them back in optimum performance condition, and reselling them for a profit. Curt Palme is one of such people. In fact the emergence of digital projectors has been a godsend for the home theater market because now videophiles can acquire CRT setups for their home that they could only fantasize about before. In that sense, thank God for digital! :)

CaspianM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Moe
Most used CRTs come from institutions, hospitals and corporates getting replaced with digital for ease of operation and portability. Also for presentation, digital is a better choice for its more light output but not pic quality. Still the most sofisticated HT setups are CRTs but digitals also finding their way. Obviously one can opt for a new CRT, but if you can find one with low hour it makes sense.

Billy Gun

Stunt Coordinator
Does Curt Palme have a website?

How would I contact him?

Anybody on here ever buy from him?

VicRuiz

Second Unit
I did. Top notch service and support. I'm very hapy with my Marquee.

Like I said, go to the AVS Forum and run a search for his name. You'll be able to check dozens of references about his services. After that, shoot him an e-mail asking to be put on his mailing list. He usually sends one out every Sunday listing all the projectors he has for sale.

If you'd rather speak to him, send me an e-mail and I'll give you his phone mumber.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Yes, if you don't mind some tinkering the used CRT path is the way to go. I got a 4 year old Marquee 8501LC for $3000 last year (ex Boston Univ.). Considering the new cost is around $30,000 that's a hell of a deal. This is the same chassis that the likes of Bill Gates, Martin Scorsese, and George Lucas use at home, although those guys probably bought new.... One of these days the digital projectors will catch up but until then I love my cheap used projector.

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
I am also considering a used crt via Curt Palm.I am interested in the htpc idea.My computer has 900 mhz and 128mb ram.I also have a dvd rom,so what exactly else do I need and how much is that going to run me?

If I choose to go that route,will it effect my other computer junk(mainly web surfing,nothing really important)and will I still have dd/dts?

Thanks!

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
By the way,I am using Windows M.E if that makes any difference.And,where do I get the needed parts?

Huey

Agent
$50 for a SPDIF capable sound card (unless you already have one). $60 for a Radeon LE video card for best DVD image (Geforce lines are much better for 3D games but Radeons are best for DVD pics--although more finicky drivers and less stable than Geforce). The new Radeon 8500 vid. card is good but driver trouble (as always with ATI) is keeping me from recommending it (plus it's $300-$400 depending on model). If you want to watch Svideo sources, get $40 Iomagic PVR capture card and free Dscaler software and you're set. 900 Mhz is plenty for software DVD playback. Just match your refresh rate to your PJ and your pics will rival (if not beat) the most expensive prog. DVD player. Sound won't be as nice but will be plenty adequate for DD/DTS (even the 6.1 stuff if you have a receiver that will support this).
I agree that CRT has a better picture, but some of us likes the portability and user-friendliness of digital PJ. Digital in general has 1) Plug and Pray setup (put on table or ceiling, plug in cables, and you're set), 2) light weight (my NEC LT150 XGA DLP is 3#), 3) low maintenance (just change bulb and may be some canned air for dusting), 4) brightness (CRT can be bright but you'll have to buy bigger guns (8" or 9"), 5) larger screen size (brighter means bigger screen size possible), 6) Video processor built-in (CRT often needs external doubler, tripler, or even quadrupler--HTPC is a cheap, great video processor for both CRT and digital PJ), 7) No burn-ins to worry about (can you say Xbox on >100" screen, better check that used CRT tubes for burn ins). Another thing to consider is if your used, out-of-warranty CRT breaks down, it may be expensive to fix. My LT150 brand new can be bought for $2200 with 2 year 72 hour turn-around replace/repair and a 3rd year of regular repair warranty. Try to get that with a used CRT :D
Digital has some drawbacks too: 1) expensive bulb ($300 for 1000 hour on LT150), 2) poor contrast (LT150 has 800:1 and Z9000 has 1100:1) which may never match CRT which has truer blacks, 3) noisy (some can be 32 db while others can be 50 db--hushbox helps), 4) expensive (Z9000 is around $7000 and DILAs can be over 10K) but cheaper models can be had (DS2=1.3K, LP425z=1.4K, PJ870=1.3K, VPL-CX1=1.5K, LT85=1.6K, LT150=2.2K, XW15=2K, Piano=3K, VT540K=3K, LP530=4K, VWH10T=4.5K, PLV60HT=4.6K, XP21N=4.5K, MT7=4.8K), 5) screendoor (pixel visibility at close range--solution=sit further than 10 feet from screen). Bottom line is it's personal preference. See some for yourself as it's your money. Happy hunting :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks