What type of connection???????????????????

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by John*DB, Sep 13, 2004.

1. John*DB

John*DB Stunt Coordinator

Okay. I am more confused the more I read. I need answers from people who KNOW about HT WELL!!

I have ordered all the "stuff" for my first HT. The only thing left is the wires and interconnects.
    I have read all about "how to" set up the HT. I have read all the threads about my specific HT items (DVD player, projector, etc...)

NOW,

I need to get the junk to hook it all together and I want to do it right the first time!!!

I know I want to use BlueJeansCable for my wiring. I have also read all their pages and I am still just as much confused.

HERE IS WHAT I HAVE

Help me put it together PLEEEEEEASE
    • Infocus 4805
    • Yamaha 5760
    • Denon 1910
    • JBL E series EC35, E20 x 4, E250 sub

Now, you can see this is NOT high end. BUT it is QUITE good for my first system - thanks to all the input I have received so far from all of the fine people on the board.

I want to use DVI. But what does the 4805 need? DVI-A, DVI-D, DVI-I???

I want an XBox. I probably want to use component for that right?

I know as far as audio goes - Coax is Coax. I know I don't need "specialized" subwoofer and digital audio cables. But I think thats how BlueJeans sells it.

I know I am asking a lot here. I am asking for specific help for specific items that probably no one else will benefit from reading. But I don't know what will be the best and work with my system.

Thanks for all input. I truly do appreciate it!I have read all the threads about my specific HT items (DVD player, projector, etc...)

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Feeling a bit overwhelmed? You're not alone! I'm going to go through this blind. I don't know your equipment, but I have found this to be the easiest way.

First, you have 3 parts to this

A - Your speakers -- wire them all up to the receiver.
    B - The video cables going to your TV from your receiver
    C - The audio and video cables from your player, X-Box etc. going to your reciver.

C can be further broken down into each piece of equipment. You run your cables from your X-Box to the receiver, and then the players cables to the receiver, and so on. If they are all component, you then just run a component to the TV, and you're all set.

See how easy that was?

Glenn

3. John*DB

Thanks...I think I have that down...that part shouldn't be too hard. Just think it through and start pluggin' in until you get it right.

BUT

What cables and wires should I buy????

DVI-A, DVI-D, DVI-I, component, VGA, S-video, etc.........

This whole "upscaling/upconverting" is killing me!!

I don't get it!

You have a cable, you have a player, you have a monitor (TV, Proj, etc).

Almost every thread is talking about upconverting or upscaling something.

TOO ME That sounds like people taking something they have and trying to make it better than what it was intended for. WHY is UPSCALING necessary??

Wouldn't you just buy products that don't need to be tweeked to be good?

I must be confused because everyone is doing it.

Please help me. [​IMG]

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
  5. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

If you want to use a digital video connection between the DVD player and the 4805, then forget running the video sources throught he receiver. Are you sure your DVD player has digital video out ? (ie, some DVI-x output) If not, then a DVI connection is not an option withour replacing the DVD player. For advice on how to establish a DVI connection, go to the AVS forum, look in subsection "projectors under $3500" and you will find a MASSIVE 4805 thread that disscusses DVI and everything else about the PJ under the sun. The distance from the DVD player to the PJ is important. I have heard it said that the improvement of DVI over component is pretty subtle if any. Using component is a much cheaper backup plan. The xbox can be connected to the 4805 using the avaliable s-video or composite inputs, or you can use component for both and run them throught the receiver as Glen suggested.

6. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Ah! Ok, forget the upscaling. You can tweak it later. If your TV has a DVI-x input, it won't do you any good unless you have a DVD player with a DVI output.

The next step down would be component, and I think that's where you are at. The player and X-Box could both go into the receiver, and then you'd have a component out cable from the receiver going into the TV.

That is 3 component cables, though. If getting 3 of the type you want is too much $$, get two, and then use 3 yellow video cables temporarily.

Ok for now?
    Glenn

7. John*DB

Wayne - As I already stated, I have read that post and all the definitions and all the posts on my specific gear.

My questions go beyond those posts.

Brian - I have read all the posts on AVS Forum too. I still have questions.

Glenn and Brian - My Denon has DVI-D Out (HDCP).

I have the 4805 Projector and the Denon 1910 (Just came out) DVD Player.

I need to get some advice from those that know about this gear.

8. Chris White

Chris White Second Unit