What type of Cables to Buy?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Dan Mertz, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Dan Mertz

Dan Mertz Stunt Coordinator

I need to get some Component Video and Digital Optical Audio cables. Do different brands matter that much? Is there much difference between GE, RCA, or Monster?

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Radio shack works fine. Don't spend too much, monster can be overpriced.

Beyond this, if the setup demands it, then canare/belden pro cables are the way to go, from bluejeans.com, heartlandcable etc etc

3. Dan Mertz

I'm the kind of person who likes to save a few bucks when I can, but if it makes a huge difference in audio/video quality, then I'm willing to spend a little more. I just notice that Monster cables are "THX Certified" and I don't know if that makes a difference.

As for Radio Shack, I usually avoid them because I think they are over-priced. Last time I bought cables I got them at Wal Mart for half the price that Radio Shack tried to charge me. However, I don't know if the quality of the Radio Shack cables were better than the ones I got at Wal Mart.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

thx certified cabling... i still try to tell myself that that's a joke...[​IMG]

Radio shack makes quality basic cables, for cheaper than the monster usually. If you want higher quality, the next real step is the pro stuff as i mentioned. Chances are the wal mart stuff you speak of was really cheap.

For instance something like this is PLENTY good for most applications:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D1072

Below this is the gold series which should also suffice fine.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well it's not like your DVD player is pushing gigahertz frequencies. Regular old DVD is a little under 7 mHz and even 720 on HDTV is around 36 mHz. A general rule of thumb, is that to avoid degradation use 3x (some like 4x...so that's fine) the bandwidth and you'll be fine.

Well if you consider this site for example, you'll see that you can get a 6 footer for a bit under $9 that has 140x more bandwidth than needed for regular DVD and about 28x more than if you were running "as good as it gets". If you buy from them, might as well add a 2 meter toslink for $11. Need a little 'surge protector' to hook all your stuff into (including your cable)? $20 and you're in.

Just one of many places on the web where ya doesn't have to spend a lot of money and still buy products that exceed the requirements of your equipment.

6. Brian.S

Brian.S Auditioning

BTW, if you DO want to get the Monster brand, CompUSA just started selling them and at a good price also. I got my 8ft THX Certified Component video(1Ghz bandwidth) for $30!*sorry not allowed to post URL's) That's even cheaper than the Gold RadioShack stuff. They also have a 8ft THX Cert Optical Toslink for $25! Great price. But the others are right also alot of cables are overpriced, I wouldn't go buy the insanely expensive "ULTRA" cables they sell it is outragious.

-Brian

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Now if we could only find out what that certification meant!

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Here's how to use the Basics area:

If you have a question concerning what the differences between various types of cables and connections are, then post in Basics. But if you have a question regarding which brands of cables to buy, then post here in the appropriate area.

Basics is for asking about, as the name would suggest, the basics of home theater and home audio.

9. Bryan_K

Bryan_K Stunt Coordinator

STAY AWAY FROM MONSTER!!! As long as they are shielded, gold plated connector's & are ? gage (thick) :)
    You'll do fine. The expensive brands might have things that "hypothetically" make your connection better, but you probably wont see/hear the difference. Waist your money if you want, but im all about bang for the buck.

Three-four years ago when i got into this crazy hobby. i got suckerd into $70 monster component cables. [​IMG]

when i learned from groups like this that it is unnecessary to buy expensive cables, it was to late to return them. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Dan Mertz

I'm a newbie so I'm not sure what a "Toslink" is. Is it the same as a Digital Optical Audio cable?

11. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

Dan, you are correct.

12. Iver

Iver Second Unit

13. Dan Mertz

14. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Sure, or one from Electronics Boutique...really this is no big thing.

15. Eric Torres

Eric Torres Auditioning

"Need a little 'surge protector' to hook all your stuff into (including your cable)? $20 and you're in."

Chu Gai,
    Does this also function as a cable reception filter such as the Monstercable Powerbar? In my uneducated terms, can this $20 surge protector also help my basic cable reception?

16. Iver

Iver Second Unit

17. Brian.B

Brian.B Auditioning

I found canare cables on ebay 1M Canare LV-77S SPDIF Digital Audio Cable (sorry can't post direct links

18. EduardoBonifaz

EduardoBonifaz Stunt Coordinator

19. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

There's another thread on Tweaks regarding the PowerBar Eric that you might find of interest. If the approach you prefer to take involves EMI/RFI isolation between the components, then perhaps a more cost effective solution might be that refurb Belkin I mentioned in it for $60.