What "tweak" gave you the "most bang for your buck"?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by EdNichols, Jul 21, 2003.

1. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

I have read threads where someone adjusted this or moved that and it made such a difference in sound. Since I am always in the market for free or low cost sound improvements, what tweak did you do that gave you a better sound?

2. Craig Morris

Craig Morris Stunt Coordinator

Speaker placement. I moved my subwoofer about 1 foot forward and filled in a hole I had between 80-100Hz. I also pulled my main speakers out a few feet further into the room. The soundstage, imaging and midrange clarity are so much better than when the speakers were about 2-3 feet back from where they are now. Yes, they are practically in the middle of the room which would drive some people crazy, but I live alone, and after hearing my speakers in their new spot, I could never go back.

3. PhilMays

PhilMays Stunt Coordinator

For the Money?

Going to 12 guage speakerwire from 14 guage.

4. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

Acoustical treatment for the listening room. DIY panels and bass traps, etc, are very low cost and can do wonders.

Moreso than upgrading amps and processors, even speakers, IME.

Definately worth investigating if you are looking to smooth out your rooms response.

Good Luck,

BOK

5. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Absolutely no contest, proper speaker placement is unquestionably the most cost effective tweak there is. Moving the speakers costs no money, yet can potentially improve sound quality by orders of magnitude.

Of course, if your speakers are already properly positioned this won't work for you, so you'll have to look at another aspect of your system. If you have junk speakers, perhaps replacing them with low cost, but decent quality models would be the most effective tweak. How about your romm, would some wall treatments help? If you are using the patch cords that came with your components, upgrading to inexpensive, but good quality interconnects might yield the best "bang for the buck" improvements. IOW, the best tweak will depend on your specific system and circumstances.

6. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Absolutely agree that moving speakers esp the sub will work wonders for the sound of your system at no cost. I moved speakers farther away from side and back walls. Moved sub from the corner to a side with no side wall but just back wall. This flattened my room response to be within +/- 3db from 80-20Khz. I now only have a 5db peak at 40Hz that I want to take off. Maybe getting the Outlaw ICBM would do the trick for $250. We'll see but so far nothing is planned.

7. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

No question, proper speaker placement and room treatment DWARFS any other "tweak" by orders of magnitude.

8. RayJK

RayJK Stunt Coordinator

After speaker placement, balanced power did it for me.

9. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Speaker placement. Best bang for the buck, even when you factor in what I'm worth per hour! [​IMG]

After that, a true powerful amp section (upgraded from Sony STR-DA555ES to an NAD T762).

10. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Speaker placement is easily number one on my list too.

Number two in my system was eq'ing my sub. I added the Behringer Feedback Destroyer for $120 and I'll never have another system without an eq for my bass.

11. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Speaker placement. *Gots* to be at least 18" out from any wall. Then, getting a BFD eq for my sub. Then, getting the phase correct between the sub and mains. Next was routing my CATV line through the ground loop isolator in my AC box (balanced power). Next was actually using the video section on Avia (I had always used the audio parts...). [​IMG]

12. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Speaker placement and especially the Subwoofer made a tremendous difference and best of all, no money changed hands. Of course if selling a few receivers and going the seperates route is a tweak then that was one helluva tweak [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Kevin,

14. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

Putting 3 big 2 inches slab of concrete under my Servo-15. Cost me 15$ (CDN! imagine!). Big improvment for me for cheap.

15. DaleBesh

DaleBesh Stunt Coordinator

1. Speaker placement (assuming good quality spkrs. to start with)

2. Some room treatments

3. Going with separates

4. Cables...do not have to be esoteric, just the right cable for the job, and quality workmanship and construction

16. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

SPL meter and a good test tone CD

17. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Physical matting for my RPTV.

18. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Where I actually spent money? It would still be speaker placement. I purchased a pair of rubber door stop wedges for less than $1 to properly angle my center speaker towards the listening position.

19. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

20. Burke Strickland

Burke Strickland Second Unit

The Cardas speaker placement/room setup data is very useful indeed. I have based placement of my Maggies on the formulas given there (with some additional minor tweaking). The material explaining the formulas is also quite interesting. The area on the Cardas site with the room setup information is in the section labeled "Insights" at http://www.cardas.com/insights/index.html

Select "Room Setup" from the list on the right-hand side of the "Insights" page (about 2/3 of the way down the list between "Cable and Connector Longevity" and "Record Mastering, an interview with Stan Ricker Part 1"). The page with the information will be titled "Setting Up Speakers In A Rectangular Room". It has formulas that are useful for owners of planar speakers (such as the Maggies) and for more traditional box speakers (virtually all others).

In case you want to learn even more, there is a link at the bottom of the page "For those who must know more... " which in turn takes you to a page of links to a lot of additional information such as "Long Wall Speaker Placement or Horizontal Listening Rooms" and more...