what TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Drew_H, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Drew_H

Drew_H Auditioning

well thanks for all the help!

Now I need to know what kind of tv I need. What kind of inputs and outputs should I have?

All my TV has on it now is A/V in and coax in.

thanks in advance for all the help.

I think I am going to go with the HTB-544 system.

Who else has one?

2. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Well this really depends on how much you want to spend.

For inputs the bare minimum for DVD watching is to have at least one S-video input. Component inputs (uses 3 cables, usually labeled Y, Pr, Pb) are even better...but now we're talking a lot more money.

For size...you want to get the biggest you can afford or the biggest you can fit in your room.

Widescreen (16:9) vs. Standard (4:3)...again, what can you afford? Also you'll want to evaluate what you intend to watch. If you watch more television programming that is not widescreen then maybe "standard" is the right one. But, widescreen television is the future with more and more HD broadcasting in the schedule. Also, widescreen TVs are great for watching DVD. How long do you plan to keep this TV without wanting to upgrade?

For movie watching I really like projectors. They seem to really fill in that theater feel most of us like to accomplish in a "home theater." But now we're talking even more cost and mounting issues. RPTVs (rear projection television) is pretty popular but also costly compared to direct view sets (but also bigger and available in widescreen).

3. ScottMass

ScottMass Auditioning

Im kind of in the same dilema. Im torn between widescreen and 4:3. Right now im set on the 34HF81 and the 36XBR450.

I have DirecTV/Tivo as my source. 75% of my viewing is from the satellite the other is DVD's and I don't play video games. What do you guys think would be my best choice?

Thanks!

Scott

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

also consider the number of inputs on the tv. if you plan on running everything through the receiver, you may only need one set of inputs. i bought a 32" sony with only one composite and s-video input for about 450 bucks. since i run everything through my receiver, it wasn't a problem.

however, if you're planning on running all the video signals through the tv, you'll obviously need more.