What's new

What TV Shows/Movies Should Be Scheduled for Blu-ray Release? (1 Viewer)

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
I actually think that "V: The Original Mini Series" and "V: The Final Battle" should be released almost immediately. Others include the Jesse Stone movie series.

Rick P

Supporting Actor
If Shout Factory wanted to get another cult fav in the 'one and done' category.. and their 1st BluRay... How about Jake 2.0?

(and before anyone says otherwise, yes is HD... as seen when it was shown on HDNet.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Like Travis, I really want to see Twin Peaks and The Twilight Zone on blu. The Outer Limits, Space: 1999 and The Fugitive (with restored music, yeah right) would be great, but not likely to happen anytime soon.

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
I don't think I could ever watch an episode of the Twilight Zone ever again. The Sci-Fi Channel killed me on watching ti ever again. They have played that series to death and back again.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Honestly, I think only the cream of the crop of classic tv will make it to blu-ray.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
V was done cheap.
I don't understand the opposition to "edited on video"

My reading of the bluray spec is that it could, if desired, hold simple 480P content. So, my argument would be: give us basically the exact same thing as the DVDs. Fine. Improve the soundtrack, put it 480P, and give me 1 disc that has an entire season of a show. I'll buy that for shows that fit into that mold. Fair improvements could be made without re-inventing the wheel.

I want "Outer Limits" .. the new (SHO/SciFi) version on Blu. I also want a great number of TV movies. Give me Stephen King's "The Stand" and other miniseries.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by mattCR

It's a quality issue - direct transfers from a film masters to digital is better - but my feeling is - if it's broadcast quality,it's good enough for me! A show shot on film,edited on video is no different then a sitcom shot and edited on tape.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by mattCR

I wouldn't mind seeing SD material all on one Blu-ray disc if I don't have a show on DVD and the price was the same as the DVD. However, if I already have a show on DVD, I'm not going to re-buy the show with no upgrade other than it's now on one or two discs instead of six.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
One of the big problems with edited on video is not so much the editing, but the telecine transfer. All of those shows from the 80's and 90's are always going to look like a 20 year old telecine job. Not to mention they are all 480i NOT 480p. All you have to do is look at Star Trek: TNG to see what I mean. The colors of the titles are bleeding all over the place, There are interlace jaggies. The image is soft even by broadcast standards. Its just a very ugly looking final product, and most shows of that era suffer from the same issues.

Doug

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I do understand those issues. I think almost everyone agrees that without a major rework most of these just "are what they are". Minor re-work, however, is possible with minimal expense to some titles.. and, albeit, minimal improval.

But Bluray has always looked for a way to get adopters, to grow it's base. You'd think the strategy I propose would be a no-brainer. If you could put all of TNG S1 on 2 BD discs, rather then 9 DVDs, shipping and production cost would drop. And for people who had never bought the series, if someone said "you can get S1 TNG on BlueRay for $40" which is about $25 less then the DVD set. Studio makes more money, and gets some to double dip just for the content.
Studio saves money, the buyer gets basically the exact same quality as they had on DVD, except they don't need to flip discs nearly as often, and sure, you can integrate some BD Live! content or whatever to push out new features or something to still make it a collectible item.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I don't see any advantage for the customer to re-buy these shows if there isn't a substantial improvement in the quality of the presentation. In addition blu-ray is more expensive to produce than standard DVD, which would probably eat up any cost savings in having fewer discs.

Doug

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I like this discussion. I do think old TV shows, even the ones shot on 35mm film, were never really meant to be held up to the scrutiny of 1080P. The filmakers knew that the fake backdrops, wires (Flying Nun?) and such would not be noticed on the low-resolution TVs of the day. It makes sense to use the Blu-ray format for its capacity rather than its resolution specs and package full seasons in 480P on 1 or 2 discs.

While I certainly wouldn't re-buy anything I already own on DVD, I'd love to buy complete seasons of some of my favorite old TV shows on 480P Blu-ray disc that have never been released before.

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
Tell me about it. I'm preparing to purchase my first television show on Blu-ray, Firefly, but, only because I was able to get Overstock to price match Deep Discount at $35. I just think that, when it comes to Blu-ray, that studios are over-pricing their releases and they have gotten very out-of-control.

I don't how anyone else feels about it, but when I walk into Best Buy and see a complete season set priced at $90, I just turn and walk out of the store. As much as I want to upgrade my library of television shows to Blu-ray, the general pricing for television shows have been taken advantage of by the studios.

The problem is that the studios see the Blu-ray format as a premium format and an excuse to raise the SRP on their releases double that of the DVD format. I mean, take a look at Firefly on Blu-ray. Best Buy sells it in their stores for $70. When you can purchase the DVD version for arouond $40.

If the studios can't bring those price controls down to a reasonable level, television show fans aren't going to be looking at upgrading their library to the new format. Not only that, but, studios aren't doing their best to offer current DVD owners an upgrade offer.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by Mark-P

I like this discussion. I do think old TV shows, even the ones shot on 35mm film, were never really meant to be held up to the scrutiny of 1080P. The filmakers knew that the fake backdrops, wires (Flying Nun?) and such would not be noticed on the low-resolution TVs of the day. It makes sense to use the Blu-ray format for its capacity rather than its resolution specs and package full seasons in 480P on 1 or 2 discs.

While I certainly wouldn't re-buy anything I already own on DVD, I'd love to buy complete seasons of some of my favorite old TV shows on 480P Blu-ray disc that have never been released before.
You could say the same of feature films of a particular age too. Look at all the discussion of the wire holding the tail of the Lion in The Wizard of Oz. (they removed it for the blu-ray) Audiences were much less aware of things like effects or even sets in the studio days. Only in the 70's when the many films started to shoot in real locations, and the level of effects were raised to a very high level did people start to look back and see the "seems" in older films and TV shows.

I think Star Trek on blu-ray clearly shows the advantage of the higher resolution format. It really is a beautifully photographed show, and I think other shows such as Perry Mason, The Untouchables, and The Man From U.N.C.L.E. would like wise benefit. After all the two part episodes of U.N.C.L.E. were shown as features theatrically in
Europe.

Doug

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
TV/DVD on BR is all well and good, but how many here would actually double-dip for BR releases? I guess another way to put it woud be, how many here have the income to dd for Std sets that they already have on their shelves? Not me. The only factor that would get me to enter the BR mkt is to see numerous 50's-90's TV/DVD shows get released on BR as a first-time release (not prev available on Std releases). That's what I've been watching and I don't see it happening yet. I don't think it will happen but maybe some day.

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
Well, I probably would, if the studios could bring the cost controls down to a more affordable level. If the Blu-ray sets were placed on a similar pricing structure as the DVD sets of the same release then I would purchase them. Best Buy sells most DVD season sets for around $39.99, on average, Now, if the studios could get the Blu-ray sets down to around the same price point as DVD's, I would double dip. I would also then give my DVD sets to my dad and the rest of my family as they would enjoy them.

The problem is that studios have viewed the Blu-ray format as an excuse to raise the profits they make from Blu-ray sales and they've managed to increase the retail SRP for their titles released on the new format. In my opinion, the studios pricing on Blu-ray season sets are deliberately holding back a lot of consumers who are thinking about jumping into the new format.

I know that I have to purchase one single television show on Blu-ray and the prices for television show sets are priced so high that I'm staying away from them. I've been able to find more affordable prices on Blu-ray movies than I have on television shows of the same format (BR). I'm just curious if everyone is buying more movies on BR or more TV shows, when shopping in B&M stores.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Some of the U.N.C.L.E. features were also shown domestically in theaters and not all were adapted from two part episodes, they had extra footage, often a bit racy, specifically filmed for the theatrical release in order to give viewers something they had not previously seen for free and to pad out a single episode's running time for a feature.

I don't think this particular series would benefit from a Blu release, however, as the bulk of it was filmed on the old MGM back lot, substituting for various worldwide locales, and usually dirty and debris filled stock footage was used for establishing shots, both aspects of production that now appear very archaic and cheap. As for what little location photography there was, it tended to be the same roads in Griffith Park over and over again. The black and white episodes are a little more forgiving, but the color ones really present the series as if it were meant to be seen on nothing bigger than a 25 inch CRT set. It had a good cinematographer for most of the series, Fred Koenekamp, but he was hampered by the low budgets. It's hardly a good candidate for the Blu look.

From that era, I SPY, which was filmed all over the world and had higher production values, is a much better choice.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I Spy though was shot on 16mm film and is never going to look sharp and clear in any kind of format.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks