What's new

What TV should I get? (1 Viewer)

Silent Bob

Auditioning
Real Name
Shawn
With the PS3 comming out, prices dropping, and christmas comming up, I think it's time I got an HDTV.
I have some knowledge in this stuff, but Im not sure about anything. Now I hear plasmas suck, and after seeing my friend's plasma, I have to agree. As far as I know LCD and DLP are the best formats.
Now this tv will primarily be used for gaming, but also for Blu-ray, DVDs, and dish. I want it to support 720p and 1080p, have awesome scaling so there's very little or no lag, and the bigger the better. Sound isn't very important, but it needs to be surround sound and pretty good.
A friend said I should wait for SEDs to come out, but I don't think I can wait that long. (I hear it's mid to late 2007).
My budget isn't clear yet, but I'm expecting it to be around $2,000.

So in short, which tv formats are better in what aspects? When are SEDs comming out? Is the wait for an SED worth it, and if not, what is the best tv I can get near my budget?

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
If you are a gamer, you should probably stay away from Plasma. Plasmas are more prone to burn-in than LCD and DLP. There are a lot of LCD and DLPs in the $2,000 range. I can recommend the Sony SXRD. They are coming down in price, rapidly. There has been a $400 drop in most models in the several months they have been out. I think you could get a 50" for a little over $2,000. I have a 55" and am very pleased with it, so far.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
One to consider is the Westinghouse 42" LCD. It's 1080p and has a faroudja de-interlacer in it. It would be well within your budget and is pretty highly rated in Consumer Reports.

I would also recommend the Sony SXRD's mentioned above if you're not looking for a flat panel.

Silent Bob

Auditioning
Real Name
Shawn
Both the 50" Sony SXRD and the 42" Westinghouse look really good, but I can't decide. The Sony SXRD has the size advantage, but the Westinghouse has the price advantage. Whats your opinion on SEDs?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

SED's ... expensive and not ready for prime time.

If you think plasma is expensive ... just wait for SED.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks