What's new

What TV has the best quality? (1 Viewer)

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
my friend says that a HD tube tv has better picture quality then a plasma tv and now my whole foundation is shot so what type of tv/tv from a certain company has the best picture quality for average bigscreen sizes and such.

John S

Senior HTF Member
These days, I seem to like all the newer DLP sets.

Still way thin, and they always seem fantastic in the show rooms.

Is that what I bought? Nope to much money, I went with lowly CRT RPTV....

John Royster

Screenwriter
Allen,

This is a very difficult question because all the different display technologies have their strengths and weakness. And even trying to discuss them can start a holy war.

I don't think there is truly a "best quality" but generally CRTs "win". IMHO.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Even with a holy war, I love the mix we have on here...

People that own and are quite happy with virtually all the different technologies that is.

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
IMHO,
right out of the box, CRT's tend to win, then I'd say there's a tie between LCD Flat panel, DLP and LCD projection (all having their own strengths and weaknesses).
However, properly calibrated CRT projection can often outdo any of these.... and I've never seen any of the newer technologies calibrated :D

There are way too many variables. You just have to weigh price against what YOU think looks best. Of the two flat panel technologies, I think LCD is much more appealing (but still pretty pricey for, say, a 37" max)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
direct view CRT will still give you the best PQ IM(And professional reviewers)HO. In the near future plasma, DLP, LCD, LCOS, OLED, or another technology may achieve a better PQ, but not this model year.

Direct-view CRT weaknesses: Small size ,40" (give or take). Heavy (Bigger examples weigh over 200lbs). Can't hang on wall.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

No way. Projection CRT is definitely better. Direct view has all the benefits of CRT, but with screen door. Ick!.

As for absolute reference for moving video (movies), this is ALWAYS a war, but if we talk ONLY about picture quality, all else be dammed, then CRT is still the reference. Some VERY high end DLPs are getting very good, but there are still weaknesses in comparison.

This of course, ignores totally, ANY and ALL reservations as to price, usability, etc, and assumes a totally dedicated, light-controlled room.

The day is coming when this is no longer the case, when digitals can achieve a black level and three-dimensionality, and natural ease of a well-done CRT setup, and then beat it by adding more sheer numbers of pixels.

But this is not the case yet. IMO plasma is still towards the bottom.

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
what is this DLP and CRT never heard of it

i always thought a tv had better quality if it had more pixels then another tv of the same size?

Like what does a DVD do that makes the picture quality so much better on tv's with bad picture quality?

Robert K

Agent
The recent Perfect Vision mag talks to the different technologies as well as compares and recommends several RPTVs.

They say CRT based RPTV is the best picture quality right now, over all other technologies. The others are good, but CRT still has better brightness and resolution.

They also go on to say that Sony make has the best CRT RPTV products with Hitachi a close 2nd.

John S

Senior HTF Member
All, I can comment on is how happy and awesome my new ultra bargain 60" Philips HD CRT RPTV is.

Being overly happy with the model, all I can suggest is, save the money, find an HD RPTV that you like and start enjoying HDTV!!!

Good luck on your choices.

Matthew Todd

Second Unit
my friend says that a HD tube tv has better picture quality then a plasma tv and now my whole foundation is shot so what type of tv/tv from a certain company has the best picture quality for average bigscreen sizes and such.
Any tube TV, (for example a HD tube TV) is based on CRT technology. Tube TVs are also known as "direct view" TVs.

Up until recently, all rear projection TVs (RPTVs) were also CRT technology based. Just recently you're beginning to see LCD and DLP rear projection TVs.

The general disadvantage of every technology except those that are CRT based is their inability to show very deep blacks. The other technologies (e.g. DLP) are getting better and better at showing black though. I think it's just a matter of time before the new technologies will match the quality of CRT.

Matt

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Allen:

There are a lot of different display technologies out there.

The main, old technology uses CRT to produce an image.

There are a LOT of factors that go into forming an image, and every display type has it's inherent strengths and weaknesses. The sheer number of pixels, or resolving capabilities is just one factor in producing a very good image.

Sacha_C

Second Unit
I saw a friends CRT RPTV and the quality isnt even comparable to my new XGA LCD projector, the RPTV was blurry and and a glow around bright objects and convergence problems right after he re calibrated it, even the blacks werent as black my LCD PJ.

He also said "Your projector's quality is much better".

Sacha_C

Second Unit
That a PJ can have a much better quality than TVs, I dont know if the original poster is also considering a PJ but it can easily beat a TV quality/size for the price.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

.........A RPTV *IS a projector. It is by definition the SAME thing. I still don't see how people still get this confused. Rear Projection TV. So your comment is non-sensical. A Front-Projection setup, as opposed to a Rear-projection setup (which is what an RPTV is), is still projection. RPTVs are slightly different than a full-blown rear-projection setup, which you can do with ANY regular projector as well, because in an RPTV you are trying to achieve a very short throw distance, so there is a *tad* bit more color shifting in a CRT-based RPTV, rather than the SAME projector hung with different lenses and a longer throw in a full-scale Rear or front projection setup.

So you could logically compare the different TYPES and models of projectors, such as a CRT versus LCD, or some such, and get nowhere, as people would always disagree as to what is "best."

Sacha_C

Second Unit
I know an RPTV has a projector, thats what the P is for.

I've seen many RPTVs including the new Samsung DLPs and honestly find the image much more detailed on my XGA LCD projector, I dont know if it was just not setup right in the store but I never would have paid that for such a blocky image.

Matthew Todd

Second Unit
I've seen many RPTVs including the new Samsung DLPs and honestly find the image much more detailed on my XGA LCD projector, I dont know if it was just not setup right in the store but I never would have paid that for such a blocky image.
I would imagine a perceived difference might have something to do with the screen. Are RPTV screens often fresnel lenses? It seems I've heard that such a screen provides a lot of gain (perceived brightness), but also reduces fine detail?

Of course it could be something else entirely or a combination of things!

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks