What TV for this setup?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TommyR, Dec 22, 2001.

1. TommyR

TommyR Auditioning

We are just completing a new home and built an entertainment center for the home theater. I need to decide which TV to purchase, here are my criteria.

We will mostly watch digital cable TV (AT&T), so I assume that a traditional 4:3 ratio TV makes sense. We do watch a few DVD's each week, so it muct be able to handle the wide formats (which I'd imagine most new RPTV's would). And the room will have a nice 5 + 1 speaker setup.

Finally, the built-in wall unit has a space that is 55" high, 55" wide, and 36" deep for the TV. We have rear panel access (you can walk behind the TV from a deep closet to the side).

Any specific model recommendations. I was looking at the Toshiba line-up today and was impressed by the picture quality, though admittedly I was confused by the analog vs. digital HDTV differences.

Thanks in advance.

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Tommy,
    Get the biggest 4/3 HD-ready set that will fit in your avalailable space, assuming your veiwing distance is going to be more than 10 feet or so.
    An HD ready set has a built-in line doubler to virtually eliminate visible scanlines on regular tv sources, like your cable. If your cable picture is good to excellent on your present smaller set, it will look better on an HD ready set. If it's not very good, it will look worse blown up by the big screen, and the poor signal will trip up the line doubler giving you a lot of digital artifacts.
    The other advantage to an HD-ready set is that it will accept a 480p signal from a progressive scan dvd player, much better picture quality.
    As for widescreen modes, or whether the set will do a "squeeze" for anamorphic dvds, nobody makes an analog 4/3 rptv that will do this--only the HD ready models will, and though all of the current models will do this for HD sources, not all will do it for the 480p from a dvd player.
    The newest Toshiba 4/3 sets (H71 and HX71) can do it, I think. Sony's HS30 models definitely will squeeze 480p as well as 1080i. Hitachi's UDX and FDX models won't.

3. TommyR

TommyR Auditioning

Steve,

That was useful. I took a look today and am consdering the Toshiba 53HX71 and the 53H71 sets. I haven't been able to find the Sony KP-53HS20 yet.

I still can't quite understand the big deal between the Toshiba standard and Cinema projection series. Do you have any experience with those?