What tuning should I use for my SVS PB 2 Plus?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by james e m, Dec 6, 2003.

1. james e m

james e m Second Unit

I'm about to set up my new SVS PB 2 Plus and I was wondering what setttings I should use?

Thanks,
    James

Room:
    My room is about 20’9” x 15’8” with a vaulted ceiling (14' at the highest point) and two fairly large openings to the room. The sub will be placed somewhere directly across from a 11’9 wall in the great room. The room will be about 4000 cu-ft, I think.

Equipment:
    Pre/Pro: Sony DA 5ES

Amp: Sherbourn 7/2100

Speakers: Paradigm Reference Studio 100s x two, Studio 20s x four, and a Studio CC.

Innerconnects: Outlaw PCA

2. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

My first instinct is to tell you that you should stick with the stock tuning point so as to get the most volume in that room of yours. However, I suggest that once you get your hands on the sub, you try out the different settings yourself. See if you can lower the tuning point and still get level of sound you want and like. Really, changing the tuning point on those subs shouldn't be that difficult (stick foam in port, set SS filter accordingly and you're all set), and it gives you another excuse to play around with it. We all know that's the best part of getting some new equipment. [​IMG]

3. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

It really depends on your listening preferences.

If you bought the PB2+ to fill a 4,000 ft3 room with some really big numbers in the >22-23 Hz region, definitely use the stock 25 Hz tune. It should be adequate for the vast majority of DVDs and music.

If you are willing to give up a bit of max output capability, the 20 Hz tune should give you strong output to at least 16-17 Hz. That will cover the occasional DVD with genuine subsonic content, and will also do justice to long pipe (32 foot) organ music, which has about a 17 Hz fundamental.

In that size room, I would not use any non-conventional tunes (i.e., intentionally mis-matching the port and SS/EQ switch settings). There is too much potential to bottom/damage the woofs at higher volumes.

Have fun experimenting! I would calibrate flat for music and a few dB hot for HT. Over-calibration (running too hot) can really detract from the movie and music presentation. The SVS is strong and clean and non-boomy and doesn't need to be run obscenely hot to impress. It will blend beautifully if properly calibrated.

4. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

In a 3000cu.ft. area I set my to 20hz since I got it this past Monday. I wanted to make sure my sub could play most anything I threw at it, hence my choice. Never even tried it at stock tune and I see no need since SPL is in overabundance and I do listen at loud volumes. Oh, it is wonderfully accurate in music as well, for all the others who cry SVS people just care about volume........ I have noticed the 20-39PC+ I just sent back could go lower with some music material I tested with. Probably a placement issue, but the PB2+ is in the same spot pretty much.

5. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

There has been some debate on this. Over on the hometheaterspot forum, a few of us are running 16hz all ports open.

Now this is NOT recommended by SVS and they frown upon running the subs that way.

if I was to recommend a configuration it would be as follow
    ports blocked / ss filter
    1. 1 / 20hz
    2. 1 / 16hz
    3. 0 / 16hz

What am I running 0 / ss in bypass

6. Christopher_Ham

Christopher_Ham Stunt Coordinator

James,

My room is almost identical to yours in dimensions and I went with the 1 port blocked and set at 20 hz. It is the setting that I get the best of both worlds.

Chris

7. Edward J M

FWIW, I ran my PB2+ in the 2/20 (conventional 20 Hz) tune last night in a 2000 ft3 room on Matrix Reloaded at Dolby Reference Level (Master Volume 00, DVE calibration) with absolutely no problems.

The sub was calibrated flat since Reloaded has a very aggressive bass track. Nevertheless, that is an extremely impressive showing and should lay to rest any doubts as to the PB2+'s capabilities in the 20 Hz tune.

I was probably the first PB2+ owner to experiment with non-conventional tunes (and coined the "3/16" nomenclature), and in a way I regret going public with that information, as it spurred a rash of PB2+ owners to run in the 3/16 tune.

Since the tune switch affects both the subsonic filter point and the custom-tailored EQ curves, the 3/16 tune easily has the highest potential to bottom-out the woofers. AFAIK, no one has yet bottomed out a PB2+, but I'd hate to think I was partially responsible if it did occur.

Scott, I don't know if you have the capability to run FR sweeps on your sub, but be aware the Bypass setting (as the name implies) bypasses both the SS filter and the custom EQ circuit. The PB2+ really wasn't designed to provide a proper in-room FR without the synergistic combination of both the proper port tune and the corresponding switch setting. While the EQ curves are mild, bypassing them will cause the PB2+ to roll-off sooner than you might suspect with any given port configuration.

Regards,

Ed

8. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Thanks for the advice guys, right now I have one port plugged and the SS set to 20 hz.

I have a question about calibration. My goal is just to make sure that a main speaker and the sub play at the same volume correct? I just want to make sure that the sub and the main speaker hit 80 dbs at the same volume setting correct? Is there anything else to it? I do have a spl meter and Avia.

What does calibrated flat mean?

Thanks,
    James

9. Edward J M

Calibrated "flat" means the subwoofer is calibrated to the same level as all the surround channels, as opposed to "hot", or "cool". Maybe not the best words to describe the meaning, but you get the idea.

If you are using a C-weighted SPL meter, it will read about 2 dB low on the typical subwoofer calibration tone.

If you are using 80 dB to calibrate the surround speakers, you would want around 78 dB on the meter for the subwoofer tone for a "flat" calibration level.

You might find a flat calibration a bit underwhelming, and at all but the highest playback volumes, you can afford to run the sub a few dB hot for more power and impact, even in the 20 Hz tune. The PB2+ has a LOT of headroom.

I'm continuing to experiment with the 20 Hz tune today; a few DVDs expose the differences between the two tunes. The 3/25 tune still has the most effortless quality with the most impact. In comparison, the 20 Hz tune is a touch more sedate, but also bit more balanced overall and definitely goes subsonic with ease.

10. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

Ed,

I haven't ran a sweep on the PB2s like I did with the PC+. with introducing a plasma and new amps into the system I had had the sub on but for 1 think 1 movie in the past 7 weeks. Adding parasound halos to the equipment list the bass from the klipsch rf7s is very smooth and powerful.

The PB2 will not be run until after the holidays.

My son has his department 56 christmas collection set up. I know the PB2s would create a little havoc on his villages. Plus the hanukkAh bush has some very expensive ornaments.

After posting that I am running 3/16 well at least the subs are set that way.

11. Edward J M

12. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

Ed

the subs are set 3/16.

looking at the HT notes which are dated I tried bypass by it says there was a 3 db loss. Can't actually remember.

With working OT and speding time playing with the new amps I can't remember what is set to what.

My current config
    PB2+ #1 3 ports open 16hz
    PB2+ #2 3 ports open 16hz but upside down or upward firing

13. Edward J M

With duals, you have so much headroom you can probably safely run 3/16 and never worry about bottoming. You have a pretty small room too, IIRC. I'm sure you're generating some very impressive sounding bass in that room. [​IMG]

14. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

Ed
    yes in deed. The bass levels can be incredible.

I am having some major issues with bass. I recently upgraded to the Parasound halos, moving the fronts off the receiver amp. The bass extension from the fronts is overwhelming.

The new upgrade scheme is to sell the PB2+ and upgrade to the (2) PCUltra cylinders when they come out.

The PB2s sound incredible at hi and low volumes. Listening to a great deal of music when the rest of the family is home I get fantastic bass at softer volumes that was absent in the PC+
    Of course its an unfair comparison.

15. Edward J M

16. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

Ed the other thought was 2 PB2Ultras