What's new

What tuner is everyone using (1 Viewer)

Brad Jay

Agent
I am thinking of going with separates and was wondering who has a tuner they are happy with and how much was it.

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
this should probably be in the a/v sources forum.

i had an old sansui tu-3900 tuner. it was descent considering that it was towards the bottom end of the sansui tuner spectrum. if you want an excellant tuner, try to find a sansui TU-X1....they aren't all that easy to find and generally go for around a grand. often considered one of the best tuners.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
You didn’t tell us your budget, Brad.

It doesn’t take much looking around to see that new tuners have pretty much been relegated to the high end and low end – not much in the middle anymore.

I have a Yamaha TX-950. Very highly regarded. I really never use it ’cause I don’t have much use for radio, but I’ve heard several people comment on this tuner’s sound approaching CD quality. Lots of trick features – dual antenna inputs, analog-style fine-tuning, wide and narrow modes, RF attenuator, etc. You can manually set up the parameters for each station and they are recalled when you tune that station. Or you can let the automatic feature do all that for you. It will probably set you back between $2-300 on e-bay. List price was $425.

The T-1000 and T-85 models also are good tuners, judging from their bid activity on e-bay. Typically go for under $200

I also remember the Onkyo 9090 tuners getting rave reviews in Audio back in the day.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Brad Jay

Agent
Jason,
My bad, I tend to come up with questions while I'm reading a particular thread and just post where I'm at.

Wayne,
I would like to spend less than $300 so you have already given some good suggestions for me to check out.

Bill Adlhoch

Stunt Coordinator
I use the best tuner ever made (IMO)

the denon TU-680NAB (discontinued since about 96)
its what radio stations use to monitor themselves

including AM STEREO circuitry

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
I also have a Yamaha TX-950. It is excellent, and it puts the tuner in my bedroom receiver (Pioneer 710S) to shame.

Larry B

Screenwriter
I use an Arcam alpha-something-or-other.

I think Rotel has a tuner in the $300-400 range.

Larry

Clay Autery

Stunt Coordinator
Kenwood Model 600T here.... Awesome analog tuner... and beautiful...
Though it would be a miracle if you found one anywhere close to $300.00. :)

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
I use a Magnum Dynalab FT-101A, audioadvisor price was $750 when I bought it a couple of years ago, has gone up since then however. This is a great tuner, has analog tuning capability which is much better than digital, IMO.:)

derek

Second Unit
If you are looking for the inexpensive route...find a decent old stereo receiver from the 70s/80s (with a tape monitor loop.) The analog tuners seem WAY better than the poor ones that come with the digital receivers today in my experience. Of course you sacrifice remote, presets and digital tuning.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks