what towers should I get?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tan_U, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Tan_U

Tan_U Stunt Coordinator

I want some suggestions for what towers to get, I'd appreciated if you know the model number as well. I'm can't really say what price range I want because I don't know much about towers. Right now I have the JBL N24 as mains and surrounds and JBL N center. Pretty much the big reason why I want to change the mains is because of looks, but sound does matter. I have a Harmon Kardon 110 receiver. Oh and a JBL PSWD-110 subwoofer. The obvious choice was to get some JBL towers but they are kind of expensive so I was hoping maybe someone knew some really good bang for the buck speakers. Thanks for any help.

2. Tan_U

Tan_U Stunt Coordinator

Oh and bookshelf is not out of the question, only problem is I have a two year old and I'm not sure if the speaker can take all the punishment, anybody else in this situation, how do you deal with it.

3. Tan_U

Tan_U Stunt Coordinator

bump,

Now I'm leaning towards bookshelf because of $$$.

4. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

I would look at the Polk line of speakers if money is an issue. I am looking at the RT55i speakers that were just discontinued. Maybe you can find them locally at a discount. If not they are about $400 for both plus S&H. You could even go with some of the lower models (25i, 35i) at a lower cost than that.

5. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

JandR.com has many JBL's at great prices and last time I looked---free shipping.

6. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

To maintain 100% timbre matched surround sound, . . . I recommend the JBL N38 3-Way, 8" Floorstanding Speaker (Dimensions (H x W x D): 31-1/2" x 12" x 10-1/2"). Save the N24's for the rear channel when you go DD/DTS 6.1EX.
    Paul Clarke is right because J&R JBL N38 price is $149.99 'each' w/FREE S/H (x2 = $299.98 shipped)
    Phil

7. ScottAndrew

ScottAndrew Stunt Coordinator

I have the N38s with the N24s + the N center and they sound terrific. But you mentioned a two-year old, and the most frequently cited problem with the N38s are that they tip over forward way too easily, especially on carpet. Mine are on hardwood floors, but it still wouldn't take much more then a gentle push from behind to knock them over. If my cat sat on top and jumped off toward the back it would definitely go down.

8. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

The N38's are a funny design balance-wise, that's for sure. You can always shim them but then what? Maybe step up to the ND310 or S310. All have excellent sound so it's hard to go wrong.