what tower speakers to buy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Fred_Pa, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Fred_Pa

Fred_Pa Auditioning

I am looking to buy a set of tower speakers for my home theater. I have klipsch ksb2.1 for rears a Onkyo 575X receiver, Sony sa-wm40 sub, and an Infinity Video 1 center. I would like the tower to have two eight inch subs. I don't want to spend more then $500. Does anyone know anything about the sony ssm-f600h speakers??? thanx

2. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    In this price range, smaller speakers offer a much higher bang/buck (esp. since you already have a subwoofer). Higher quality crossovers, enclosures, & drivers can be used which will yield a better final product. In this price range, a lot of the cost of the larger speaker goes into shipping & enclosure construction. My suggestion would be to get some high quality monitor speakers (Paradigm Studio 20s for example). You can get them at 30%+ off if you purchase in Canada.

Of course, don't take my word for it... go audition them and compare with the Sony's you mention.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I would strongly recommend against having different speakers, from 3 or 4 different manufacturers, as they will almost certainly not sound similar. This will not give you a realistic, or rather consistent, reproduction of sound.

4. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Sony speakers are not typically held in high regard. I agree 100% with John on this one. Either try to match some Infinity speakers with your infinity center or buy Klipsch across the front to match your surrounds. One idea would be to sell you current center channel and just get a pair of L/R speakers. On the receiver turn the center to "off" or "phantom" for the time being until you can purchase a matching center.

IMO any of these options would be better than having multiple speaker brands mixed together.

Regards,

Dan Hine

5. Jereme D

Jereme D Stunt Coordinator

I have those Sony speakers, Fred, and I am very happy with them. I am an average casual listener and I use them for both music and movies.

I also have the matching center channel, surround speakers and subwoofer. It all sounds great.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    BTW, you might get better response in the speakers area with this question...