What's new

What to use to weight down your subwoofer (1 Viewer)

farnamT

Agent
I got an Earthquake MKIII and the sucker physically shakes on my carpet when hitting deep bass. I hear shaking is not a good thing and means loss of DBs. So what can i do to stop this shaking.

Ches Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
some people have put sandbags on top of them. They cover them in a cloth so it doesn't looks quite as bad, but it still is pretty eyesworing. I have seen people put they're heavy amps on top of them. Mayber a paving stone or something of the like. Use the imagination.

Later

JerryW

Supporting Actor
I put a 50lb+ amp on mine (the same amp that powers it). :) Works very well.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
I don't need to put anything on it. The box itself weighs about 60 pounds, so it doesn't do a lot of moving! :D

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Well, my 15" sub weighs 70lbs and I put about 20lbs of sand bags on it.

Sub is also on a custom cut 3" thick granite slab, with blue-tac between the granite and sub itself.

You may also want to consider a better sub cable, as my Bolder cables (89259 Belden) with Cardas RCA's had more of an effect in tightening up the bass than anything listed above.

Good Luck,

BOK

Ryan T

Second Unit
My sub weighs around 200 pounds so I have not had much trouble with it moving around :D. One thing to consider when putting your amp on top of the subs is that the enclosure vibrates, so it might shake something loose in your amp. I had my amp on top of my sub and it buzzed.
Ryan

farnamT

Agent
Where can you get a custom Good looking ROCK SLAB that weights 20-30 lbs? And how much do you think it will cost. My sub weights 74 LBS, its no light weight, but the high excursion drivers shake it pretty good. Any thing i put on top of it slides right off.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I used to put two different phone books on mine and claimed to the Ex that this was a great place to put it and it helped quite a bit until I made two much better subs.

Martice

Screenwriter
That's funny. I have the opposite problem. Any ideas to keep my sub from making my building shake?
:D

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Didn't ever even think of doing that. My sub is 90lbs and the cabinet doesn't even vibrate, seems to be built like a tank

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I used spikes to stop lateral movement. My current subs are extremely heavy (over 200 lbs each) so they don't hop around that much. You can get granite slabs from any counter top installer ($$$). In the past I've built a squat wooden box and filled it with play sand. Properly finished this blends into the room nicely.

Rich Kraus

Stunt Coordinator
i use my whole house. (at least the part the IB is screwed into) like Martice said- heck with the sub, how do you keep the house from shaking?

John A. Casler

Second Unit
I used to use a 100 lb hexhead dumbbell. I painted it black with red and blue trim and it actually made the woof look more powerful, kinda like a regular woof on steroids.

I made sure the 100 was in bright red.

John Casler

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks