What's new

What to use on oily scalp? (involves oily buildup) (1 Viewer)

Ryan S

Auditioning
Hi. I'm 21, but this has been a problem since my teen years, it's not a new problem. Okay, my scalp is (and has been for a long time) oily. My body just seems to love producing oil. A lot.

Anyway, if I don't wash my hair everyday, it gets really clumped up and smushed to my head when I sleep (because of all the oil).

Anyway, I believe this is the cause for my hair being weak. If I was to grab a spot of hair ANYWHERE on my head, whether it's in my sideburns, the back part at my neck, or the top of my head...a clump of 5-8 hairs comes out, with 'stuff' on the ends of the hair. It's my belief that this stuff is built up oil.

Now, I'm no 'scientician' (heh)... but I really do think that my scalp is overproducing oil, and that the oil is clumping up in the pores of my scalp. My hair has also gotten noticeably lighter in color over the past few years. I think this also has to do with the clogging of pores from oil.

Anyway....anyone heard of this happening before? Any shampoos, or products to help with oily hair/oily buildup, etc....?

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure man, but if my hair was coming out in oily chunks I'd be making an appt. with my doc. ;)

Ryan S

Auditioning
Well when you say "oily chunks" , that makes it sound worse than it actually is! :) I'm not going bald, the hair grows back...but I think the oil is clogging my scalp and choking the hairs.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Actually oil is one of the very best things for hair. I sincerely doubt that the oil is the reason for your hair loss. This "stuff" on the ends of the hairs could very well be the root. If you're washing your hair daily, that's plenty often.

Losing hair like that, even if it grows back, is a sign something else is amiss. Something like stress, poor diet, or even a medical condition can cause this problem. It's certainly not normal to lose hair in chunks like that so yes, a visit to a doctor is in order.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I've been told that if you wash your hair frequently, more oil is produced to compensate for its loss during washings.

Dunno if that is true...but I know it is true for skin...

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Go see your doctor/dermatologist as soon as possible!

Does your scalp itch? Can you notice *any* hair loss? Do you see any peeling or flaking around your hairline or on your forehead?

Oily scalp can be the result of a lot of things, and from what I know can also lead to hairloss. At 21, I'm sure you'd like to probably prevent premature hairloss and any skin conditions, so seek the advice of a professional, and get it under control.

Good Luck!

Moe.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I would also second and third going to a doctor and finding out if there is something unerlying that is going on with your scalp.

When I was in junior high I had very oily hair. I would shampoo everyday, but that would not solve problem. I began getting shampoo made for oily hair and that seemed to solve the problem over a period of 6 months. The shampoo was just over the counter, I think it was Salon Selective and it smelled like apples.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks