What's new

What to use for VCR head cleaning alcohol? (1 Viewer)

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
I've been having problems with my Philips VCR and the responses to my last post here advised that cleaning was best done my removing the top and cleaning myself.
If I do that and clean the heads with a Qtip do I need a special cleaning substance? Also do I clean all the heads I see or do I need to work out the recording heads?
The VCR is a SVHS and doesn't seem to be recording properly so I'm guessing a head cleaning couldn't hurt.
TIA.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
When I clean my VCR heads I use alcohol. I don't use Q-tips though as they are likely to leave behind strings of cotton. I use the cleaners that are made of a spongy rubber material on a stick.(not very eloquent, I know). You can get these at your local radio shack and they seem to work pretty well. I hope this helps.
------------------
Rich
"A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
My Website

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Be very careful. You can knock the video head out of aligment very easily, and then all you get is a lousy picture. I speak from experience.
I would say if you don't know exactly what you are doing, send it to a professional.
------------------
Randy Tennison
Kansas City, MO
Home theater photos located at
http://home.kc.rr.com/thetennisons/

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Actually, isopropyl alcohol is really not the ideal thing to use on VCR heads. I recommend using denatured alcohol. It worked wonders on my old JVC VCR.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
also, be sure not to get any of the alcohol cleaner on any of the rubber parts...it will dry out the rubber and make it hard & brittle...maybe not immediately, but it's still not a good thing.
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
You'd be better off getting tape head cleaner from Rat Shack. I don't know what they are using now, but they used to mix the IPA with freon. The freon disolved the IPA so there would be NO residue whatsoever.
Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks