What to use for grill cloth?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jeff Braddock, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Jeff Braddock

Jeff Braddock Second Unit

Hello. What do you guys use for grill cloth? I seen that partsexpress has grill cloth, but it is almost $7.00/yd. Is there a type of cheaper cloth that I could get at like Wal-mart or something?

Also, what is the best way to attatch it to the wood that will make the grill frame, contact adhesive, staples, what?

Thanks.

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Go to a cloth/fabric store and ask to see their selection of 'single knit' fabrics. Hold it up to the light, it should be very transparent.

Attach to standard wood grill frames with staples. For MDF frames I use Scotch 99 spray adhesive

3. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Second Unit

I found some black burlap fabric at Hobby Lobby that worked out great for my sub grill. It's a course weave fabric that you can see through very well. I attached mine with contact cement and so far it has held up well.

4. Eric Eash

Eric Eash Second Unit

i used the partsexpress grill cloth, and i think it is very high quality. just about any see through cloth will work though. i used hot glue to attach mine as my grill touches the veneer so i couldn't use staples due to possible scratching.

eric

5. Aaron Howell

Aaron Howell Stunt Coordinator

The stuff I bought at radio shack was a lot less expensive than $7/yard. I can't be sure but I think it was $5 for 3' x 25'.

Edit:
    It was 3 yards for $12

6. Jeff Braddock

Is most of this sutible cloth polyester or something else?

7. Stephen Weller

Stephen Weller Stunt Coordinator

As a general rule, if it is optically transparent, it will be acoustically transparent (Which makes sense to me). I think I got that out of a speaker builder's cookbook.

8. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Another alternative to keeping the cloth in place is to route out a grove and use window screen "rope" to hold it in place. This gives you a very professional finish to the grills. Here's how mine turned out.

[​IMG]

9. Jeff Braddock

Wow. That looks really nice.