what to use as center with infinity sm series?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Petty, Jun 23, 2002.

1. Lee Petty

Lee Petty Stunt Coordinator

i have a pair of infinity sm-255's for my fronts, and a pair of sm65's for my rears. infinity quit making the sm series a while back and i am stuck on trying to decide which center channel to go with now. i emailed infinity and they recommended the il36c, which is from the interlude series, and also costs over $350. my question is, what do you think would match my current sm series speakers better: the infinity interlude il25c (same as 36c, just smaller woofers, and price of only $250) or the infinity entra center (only $200, and has 4" woofers). if anyone knows about these types of speakers, your advice would be greatly appreciated.
    thanx!

2. SteveRS

SteveRS Stunt Coordinator

Lee,
    I have the SM-155's 15" woofer, (2)4.5" mids and 1" polycell tweeter.
    Great speakers for loud, ballsy rock at 102db sensitivity.

Are your SM-255's similar?
    If so we need to find you the matching SM-Video Center.

3. joe rizzuto

joe rizzuto Stunt Coordinator

gents,
    i have a pair of sm 82's in the front, sm 62's in the rear and a video one center sittin' pretty on the tv and i too love the large & loud sound they make. have you tried the usual suspects for the matching center? e-bay, used equipment stores, pawn shops. i'll keep my eyes open 'round here for 'ya if you want.

4. Nick P

Nick P Second Unit

Another Infinity SM user here. 115s for the front, 62s for surround and center rear, SM Video for center.

Lee,

I see SM Videos pop up on ebay every now and then. If you can be patient and wait for one that's your best bet.

Speaking of the SM line...when voices pan from the center to the fronts my 115s have a "PA" type of sound quality on vocals only. Do any of you get this too? Any way to correct it? Stuff the speaker or plug the port maybe? I prefer the way voices sound from the SM Video. Much more natural sounding.

5. Lee Petty

Lee Petty Stunt Coordinator

the sm255 is the 15" woofer, 2 5.25' midranges and the 1" tweeter.
    you can see the entire line here:
    http://www.infinitysystems.com/homea...r=SMS&Status=H.
    well the thing is that i want to buy a "new" speaker, not a used one. i really dont buy anything used or refurbished, as i have had lots of bad luck that way.

6. TomCurry

TomCurry Auditioning

Lee,

I'm new to the HTH so I just now ran across your post. I have an Infinity SM Video center channel speaker in like new condition I purchased in 1998. I ran across a set of definitive technology speakers and don't need this speaker. If you are still interested I would sell it for $175 and I would pay shipping. Let me know and I will send you pictures. I never get around to posting this for sale.

Tom