what to upgrade??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Benny G, Jul 6, 2002.

1. Benny G

Benny G Second Unit

Sep 5, 2001
    I've been wanting to upgrade my setup for a couple of months now, but I'm not sure at all what to go for. (and I'm just dying to spend some money!!)
    Here's my system:
    Harman Kardon AVR-310
    Acoustic Research S50 mains
    AR S20 surrounds
    AR 4C center
    Sony SA-WM40 sub
    Sony DVP-NS400 dvd player
    Panasonic 27" tv (cheap one ~$350)
    Here is what I've been thinking about upgrading with:
    Sherwood AM-9080 amp
    SV sub
    Panasonic RP-91 dvd player
    CD player (100+ disc capacity)
    I am definitely not looking into upgrading receiver, AR speakers...
    I really only care to make one upgrade at this time. I could afford all of them..but don't feel like shelling out $2000 for it at this time!!
    Does anyone have recommendations?? I am probably a 75:25 - music:movies kind of guy.
    My personal reasons for/against the above:
    Sherwood amp - have only heard good things about the Sherwood..and would surely improve my sound ($500, used)
    SVS - same as amp desc. ($500)
    panasonic dvd - probably not notice a big difference, as my tv limits me (although the tv is VERY good for its price); on the other hand, I have a DVD audio disc and would be interested in more ($300-400 used)
    CD player - I have tons of CDs and am constantly switching CDs in my single disc player; it seems like a good CD player costs LOTS
    Does anyone have recommendations?? I am probably a 75:25 - music:movies kind of guy.
  2. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

Jan 9, 2001
    I like to upgrade a little at a time so I can savor the new piece for a while before I need a new rush.

An SVS sub would be a great place to start for the biggest rush.

Since you have a dvd-a disc and sound interested, I would compare the Panasonic 91 to the Denon 1600.

When you settle in and get used to the new toys, add the amp for the refinement in sound.

I really have no opinion on the cd changer. Do you just want it for convenience?
  3. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Oct 24, 2001
    Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Since you are 75% music to 25% movies, I would recommend eirther getting the amp or the SVS sub.