What's new

What to upgrade. Please help. (1 Viewer)

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
How often should one upgrade? Every year? 2 years? 3? 4? 5? more?
ALl my components are 4 years old. I was comtemplating upgrading my tv to HDTV but I think I'm gonna hold off on that. Here are my components.
Pioneer Elite SD-P5193 TV
" " VSX D3S Receiver
" " DVL700 (I'm getting Xbox would it be a better unit and would I still need to upgrade?)
Paridagm Studio 60s (don't think I need upgrading here)
Paridagm center channel. I forgot what it was but it's a reference series.
Paradigm ADP 150 Surrounds (I'm thinking this needs upgrading)
So what do you think? I spent a lot on this system in relation to my financial resources. But it is 4 years old and many things have changed. What needs upgrading? My current system only supports AC3 so I'm thinking upgrading to 6.1 is a logical step. Please tell me what you think.
[Edited last by Howard_S on November 04, 2001 at 06:20 PM]

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
I felt the upgrade to 6.1 was well worth it for me. I got the Denon 3802. I have a large room that opens to a kitchen and hallway. My dipole surrounds were really enhanced by two additional rear center surrounds.
You don't list a subwoofer. With all the posts here about subs I'd be surprised if you could hold off on that one!
How often to upgrade??? Rather than once per 4 years, I'm on schedule for 4 upgrades per year!
------------------
HT Pic's

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
My sub is Paradigm PS1200. I don't know if it's good enough. At times I found it sufficient and at times I didn't. I thought of getting the Servo-15 as a logical upgrade or adding another sub.
I'm not too happy with the place I house my home theatre in but there's not a whole lot I could do except possibly move it into a small room. I have it in my basement right not. Your basic furnished basement with no doors so it isn't enclosed. I could move my equipment around and have more space booth in width and in length.
[Edited last by Howard_S on November 04, 2001 at 06:20 PM]

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Long ago I figured out that there will always be something bigger, better, and more expensive than what I own so I don't have a dedicated number of years for an upgrade path. When it comes time to go shopping I do some research and get the best stuff I can afford and I use it as long as possible. Most of my equipment is 3-4 years old with the weakest link being the DVD player. I too am considering getting an X-Box and using it for both games and movies, but I'm gonna wait till after the release date so I can check out the reviews.

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
I think I'm gonna get an Xbox as well. It'll be interesting to see how the DVD aspects of it fares w/ the "good" dedicated DVD players out there.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I just looked up some of your gear and it looks like you already have a great system. I can't really judge the speakers having never heard them but the specs on your TV and receiver look impressive. If you're looking to upgrade I would think that adding DTS and 6.1 with an upgraded receiver and compatable DVD player would be a logical step. If getting an HDTV is part of your upgrade path keep that in mind while shopping for the DVD player, you'll want to get one that does progressive scan. Since you seem to be thinking about getting better rear speakers too you could do that and use the current rears as a rear center channel.

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
I am definately thinking of adding a rear surround channel. But would my current surrounds be any good or should I replace them and then buy 3 new speakers? Would I notice a huge difference in movies? I don't have much knowledge of the new formats. All I know is that I can do AC3 and that's all I know.
[Edited last by Howard_S on November 12, 2001 at 06:47 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks