What's new

What to upgrade next? (1 Viewer)

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought a new Sony RPTV that I am very pleased with. My current home theater setup is simply an older Sony HTIB that is adequate but definitely not ideal.

I was wondering what to upgrades next if I could only buy one thing... I have been considering upgrading my DVD player first with the temporary solution of running the audio through the Sony combo DVD/Receiver that I currently have. Does this sound reasonable or am I approaching this in the wrong way?

Thanks!

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
Does the receiver have a "subwoofer-out"? In my mind the sound is critical to creating the theater environment. I'd start by adding a subwoofer. You can get a good entry level sub for $300. If you want a highly recommended receive you can get a Panasonic SAHE100 for only $215 at 6ave.com

Another suggestion, if you were only going to buy 1 item, would be to add a Tivo or PVR. Once you get one you'll never go back! I've got two & making plans for a third unit! Then we'll be able to record programs, skip commercials, etc on every tv in the house.

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator
The Sony HTIB I have already includes 5.1 speakers and I have "TiVo-like" capabilities on my PC, so I'm looking more at upgrading the receiver or DVD player first. I think I'm leaning toward the DVD player in order to improve picture quality as my current player only has S-video out.

BrianWH

Agent
I don't know the specific model you have, but I'd ebay the combo DVD/receiver and buy a good 6-channel digital receiver. You'll hear lots of recommendations on this site, but I can say that my Onkyo TX-SR501 has been much better than what I paid for it ($182 cosmetic Onkyo refurb at ecost.com)

My $.02,
Brian

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator
While buying a new receiver first was going to be my initial approach, I would then be left without a DVD player (were I to sell my current Sony DVD player/receiver).
And as I can only afford one component now, I was leaning towards a DVD player.

Thanks for all the replies!

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
I would go DVD player, then receiver, then front 3 speakers, then rear surrounds(to match the front 3), then subwoofer, then...and then...and then...
Seriously. I built my setup like this. It gives you time to research between buys.

John S

Senior HTF Member
yes, if your current DVD is not being output by component video becasue it only has svideo then you owe it to yourself and your new HDTV to upgrade the DVD player.

You are short changing you new HDTV, the difference will be way significant using component video.

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the help, guys!

I have decided to go with my initial hunch (with your help) and upgrade my DVD player.

I am leaning towards a refurbished NAD T562, but the Lite-On 2001 is definitely intriguing given its low price-point. I'll have to do a bit more research.

I guess I'll be moving my lurking and posting over to the video source forum.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks