What to upgrade first....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron_C, Dec 31, 2001.

1. Ron_C

Ron_C Agent

Hi,

I have a crappy ProLogic system right now with a passive sub.(really crappy) and a 27 inch Samsung tv with only one set of red/white/yellow inputes and an input for cable. This system is horrible, but is better than nothing. In the near future(within 1-2 years) i will have a new system completed. It will include....

Toshiba 50hx81 or 57hx81

Denon 3802

Klipsch RF-3 series (7.1)

SVS 16-46CS+ with the Samson 1000 watt amp

Panny RP91

That will be the finished system. The Toshiba will be the last thing i will get, as i am waiting for HDTV to advance more. So it the mean time i will be purchasing a new 32-36" tv. The Toshiba 36a61, 36ax61 or 36af61.

What do you think i should get first? The reciever, the speakers, or the television. If i get the reciever, i don't know for sure if my existing speakers are 4 ohm and if i get the speakers first, i don't konw if my reciever can handle 4 ohm speakers, so i may have to buy them at the same time. Or should i get the 36" tv to replace my current tv first? The 36 will serve as the HT tv until I get the big widescreen toshiba, then the 36 will go to the living room. Thanks for the input.

2. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

Well you may want to go with the receiver first. Then the speakers. This way you will have great sound even if your TV isn't up to par yet. It's a tough call since you are kind of starting from scratch. If movies are more important you may want to go with a TV, but if music is your thing you may want to go receiver. Either way I'm sure you will be happy.

3. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator

Here is how I did it.... DVD Player>Receiver>Speakers

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Stunt Coordinator

Ron, I just went thru the same thing!
    Had a crappy SONY box set and a crappy 36" panny TV. Here is excactly what I did.
    Upgraded to a Onkyo 575x receiver first. That made an incredible difference. Then upgraded my speakers to a POLK set with PW250 sub. That also made a great difference over my sony's.
    In the last week I have upgraded again to NHT super zeroes and an ONKYO DS898 receiver. I'm picking up my ProScan PS38000 widescreen 38" direct view HDTV tomorow. I'm psyched! [​IMG]
    But to answer your question.. I did it
    receiver -> speakers -> TV and I have no regrets!
    The receiver really is an important part..it's like the "brain" of your entire system.
    Good luck and have fun!
    Jim

5. Ricky c

Ricky c Stunt Coordinator

Here's what i did.I saved till i could get the receiver and speakers at the same time.The following year i got my T.V.I now have a Marantz sr7000 with Def.tech procinema 100's w/200tl and a Panasonic 36hx40 flat screen.If you don't get them at the same time you'll get desperate to complete the setup.

6. Ariel

Ariel Stunt Coordinator

agree with ricky c. buy the receiver + speakers at the same time. if you are just going to buy either a receiver or speaker, it will still sound crappy because the weakest part of the system will pull down the rest.

7. David D. C.

David D. C. Stunt Coordinator

well what i did was when i was getting into the whole surround thing i wanted to start small and let myself groww with the system i know alot of people say get a deion of so on but you need to learn what you need and the differance in the things out there you could by a 500 to 600 dollar set up to grow by its truue that that is not a top of the line setup but learning is the big key to a great home theater