What to upgrade first...need some suggestions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TommyL, Mar 11, 2003.

1. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Hi all..I'm torn...I am in need of a SVS sub shortly, and am leaning/almost ready to buy the B4+/K1 combo. My current system is as follows: Marantz sr8200, Paradigm studio 40's, 20's, and studio center channel, rp-56 dvd player, and 55" mitsu hdtv. I feel as though sound-wise I am in pretty good shape(even though I use a receiver, not pre/pro combo) I have no intention of going 7.1 yet, so I don't need speakers...should I grab the B4+ combo (room size 21x25x8')or grab a lower SVS, and bank some cash for later use(dvd player upgrade etc...)? I use this system MOSTLY for HT...some music, but not much. Thanks in advance! tL

2. RayJK

RayJK Stunt Coordinator

While the B4 will certainly work in your room I doubt that you can get full use out of it compared to your current speakers. Perhaps if you had the Studio 100's already a B4 would be a better match. IMHO a lower model SVS would match up to your current equipment better.

3. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

match up? good clean bass is what I am looking for and yes, it can be had by any SVS...just because I have 2k speakers that aren't top knotch in some eyes, they are in fact good speakers for the money...as far as I'm concerned, the 40's are better in some ways than the 100's...if you have a sub, why buy the 100's in the first place...they are better (with the right amplification) in 2 channel, but I'd much rather have a SVS handling the bass load in movies rather than the 100's...I really don't understand the "your equipment" message...thanks! tl[​IMG]

4. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

5. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

The main reason I'd ok the B4 is that this is one piece of gear you most likely won't upgrade in the next 10+ years and would consider it wise just from this standpoint alone vs the other SVS subs with the exceptions of the Ultra and SS. If I were you I also consider the Everest and the Stryke power 15.4 or 15.6 as other contenders as well, and whichever you end up with also earmark some money for an Art, BFD, or some other room eq to take advantage of these beasts of a sub.

6. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Thanks Robert..your seeing my point well..I do like upgrading, but I have a chance to buy something as you said I shouldn't have to upgrade...it is a beast for the money...my other option is to buy the PB2 coming out soon...this is supposedly 6 DB short of the B4+ in total power, and a few bucks less(3800 with crown amp/shipping -vs- 1500 or so(NYD) + 45 shipping)...I am wondering if I went with the second option, if I could grab another PB2 at a later date...this may bring me to B4 levels....