What to spend my $1500 Canadian on SPEAKERS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JamieS, Feb 17, 2003.

1. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

Looking to narrow things down before I listen and shop and listen some more.

Here is my current system:
    Fronts Definitive Technology DR7 Towers (for those of you who don’t know them they are the tower version of the bookshelf with 17 cm woofers)
    Center Definitive Technology C2
    Rear Paradigm Atoms on 3 foot high stands
    SUB Paradigm PDR12
    Receiver Denon 1603 (80 w x5)

My room is roughly 11 x 18 (although the HT is not in the middle of the room the listening area is more like 14 x 11) hardwood floors with a mat and large curtains over a picture window.

I have had the Definitive for about 8 years now. I bought them as demo models as at the time they were vastly superior to me compared to other similar bookshelves. I recently “upgraded” from a Denon AVR 2600 (superior power across the front at 100 x 3 but only 25 per in the back) to the 1603 for the additional power to the rears decoding and inputs.

I use it for roughly 60% HT and 40% music and listen to just about everything but country and classical.

I have always found the DR7s a bit hard to drive and miss the additional 20 wpc of the old AVR 2600. I have been thinking about going to new speakers for the front especially to replace the C2 as there are much superior centers out there now. Also Definitive Technology no longer sells in Nova Scotia so I won’t be buying them again. I prefer to by locally as buying over the internet in Canada tends not to be cheaper with shipping and exchange rate factored in. Also I hope to maybe get some trade in value from a shop on my speakers.

I have roughly $1500 Canadian (plus any trade in value from the speakers ) I was thinking of keeping the PDR 12 which is good for the $400 I paid for it and the Atoms are well worth the less than $170 I paid for them.

My choices are probably among Paradigm, Tannoy, Energy, B&W, Monitor Audio, and PSB (Axiom may be a possibility but I don’t think I could get a trade in from the dealer). I am not set on bookshelf versus floorstander. My main concern is of course sound quality but also a speaker that can be reasonably well driven by my 1603’s 80 watts. I am somewhat leaning towards Paradigm as they will match my Atoms and the PDR12 and are sold by my preferred dealer but I am not by any means stuck on Paradigm. I have never really listened to other speakers except very quickly when browsing. There are so many to choose from.

My hope is that someone could give me some recommended combinations to listen to in my price range that would be an improvement over my current setup.

Thanks in advance.

2. Tim Morton

Tim Morton Stunt Coordinator

There is another thread down the page where a guy is pretty happy with his paridigm studio 40's and ceenter that he just bought in Canada. I think if i lived in canada and was thinking about upgrading those would have to be on my short list.

3. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

Bump