What to set MC-8 volume on when playing bass test tone CD?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Steve Morgan, Jun 20, 2003.

1. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    I know the Lex sets itself at 00 when running internal test tones but what do I set it on when playing a CD with bass test tones. I am using it to EQ my subs with the BFD. It seems it would be vry loud if I set it at 00 when playing a CD.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Steve,

Remember that most HT processors (I say most because I don't know them all!) automatically reduce the output for the test tones by -30dB. This would account for the difference.

Michael

3. Shawn Fogg

Shawn Fogg Stunt Coordinator

Steve,

To a degree it doesn't really matter and it would vary on what the recorded level of the bass tones is. If they are -20dB if you set the Lexs volume to 0 they should play back at 85dB.

But really you can set it anywhere that is a comfortable level for you to work with the BFD. Using the same test CD it should have a 1kHz test tone. Play that back and measure its SPL level. That would be your target SPL for all of your bass tones if you are going for flat response.

Be sure you turn off Loudness and set the EQs+Tilt to flat in the Lexicon. You probably should set the Subs output to full range so the influence of the Lexicon's crossovers don't cause confusion.

Shawn