What to see in Japan?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jeremy Illingworth, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

Next week I'm going to Japan for a month. I'm going to spend three weeks in Tokyo and one week travelling on a Japan Rail pass. I was thinking about heading south towards Hiroshima and Miyajima and then back up. Where would you stop along the way?

jeremy

2. Trey Fletcher

Trey Fletcher Second Unit

I'm assuming the pass allows you to board the Shinkansen (bullet train)? If so, it stops in Kyoto, Himeji, and Hiroshima, three places I would recommend. Kyoto is a former captial, with tons of beautiful temples and other sites. IIRC, we spared Kyoto during WWII because of its cultural importance. Himeji is small, but Himeji Castle (often called the most beautiful in Japan) is well worth a visit. And of course Hiroshima has the A-bomb museum that is also a must see. Other cities, like Nara, are also worth a visit if you have the time but you'll have to transfer to other trains.

Are you spending 3 weeks in Tokyo for a reason (business, family, etc.)? Its a great city with a lot to see, but you'll probably be ready to get out of there well before three weeks has passed.

3. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I would love to go to Japan, its been a dream of mine since I was a kid.

Have fun!

4. Luis Esp

Luis Esp Supporting Actor

Check out Expo Japan.

5. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    I'm actually toying with the idea of MOVING to Japan. If you've followed Canadian politics recently (won't go into details), you'll understand why. [​IMG]

6. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

In Tokyo, I have found the museums in Ueno park enjoyable. They have a nice art museum, science museum, and the National museum.

There is a nice temple in Asakusa (I forget the name but it is famous, so should be easy to locate). There is a nice market road up to the temple which is a good place for souvenier shopping (if you want such items).

The hardcore electronics buffs have to hit the Sony building in the Ginza and Akihabara (the electronics district in Tokyo).

Kawagoe (outside Tokyo) has some nice Zen rock gardens.

Good day trips from Tokyo are Fuji-Hakone and Nikko. Nikko has the tomb of the Tokugawa Shogun and has hand carved images of the three monkeys everywhere.

Finally, as has been mentioned, Kyoto is a must if you go south. See the Golden Pavilion, the Shogun's castle, and many nice temples.

Have fun.

Kenneth

7. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Note that Japan has the most active Western-type opera scene in the world, possibly a result of the fact that her own theatrical traditions are musical. See www.operajaponica.org for more information if you care about that type of thing. In Tokyo and all around the country, particularly in the summer, there are all kinds of religious festivals going on, which in practice range from carnivals to parades to who-knows-what. In Hakata, Fukuoka Prefecture, they have the "Dontaku" festival 3-5 May, which is supposed to be especially picturesque. If you think you can stand the shamisen music, a visit to the Kabuki theatre might be very entertaining. I don't know if any of this is what you want to know, though. Any of the major "tourist" destinations, Kyoto, Nara, &c. ar liable to be clogged at this time of year with Japanese domestic tourists, particularly the infamous School Groups who virtually monopolise the transportation system.

8. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

If you visit Japan and are very interested in Japanese history, you definitely want to visit the areas between Kyoto and Nara.

By the way, there are two ways to go between Kyoto and Nara. One way is by the Nippon Kinko (e.g., "Kintetsu") private rail line with very comfortable trains; the other way is a JR narrow gauge diesel-electric "train bus" that seems to go through everyone's backyard between Kyoto and Nara, as my late mom was wont to say. [​IMG] Mind you, a friend of mine who lives just east of Osaka said JR recently upgraded their "train bus" to fully-enclosed air-conditioned units, so the experience will quite a bit different than what I experienced in 1985 with the open window trains.

9. Steve Felix

Steve Felix Supporting Actor

I'm hoping to spend a couple weeks in Japan next November and one of my priorities is the Ghibli museum. Also, Akihabara.

10. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Lots of good suggestions, especially from Trey and Kenneth.

Nikko is almost a mandatory day trip out of Tokyo. Another good day trip is Kamakura.

Kyoto has been mentioned many times--and with reason. Spend a night or two in a ryokan (traditional Japanese Inn) while you are there. This will not be cheap, but in a really first class Ryokan, you will have an unforgettable experience.

Two or three days is not too long in Kyoto.

11. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona