What to replace my RP91 with?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Vlad D, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    As I mentioned in another thread, my RP91 "died" this weekend. It's 2 years old so it's no longer under warranty. I'm not sure exactly what the problem is but I've read other posts about RP91's dying after two years and it doesn't look like the repair will be cheap.

So now my dilemma is what do I replace it with? I have to say that I love this player; it has great PQ and the non-anamorphic scaling is awesome, and it hasn't given me any problems until now.

So anyway, my choices so far are:
    A) Buy another RP91. I found one online for $299.
    B) Denon 1600. I found one online for $329. I don't think it does non-anamorphic scaling though.
    C) Buy a really cheap player for now and repair my player.
    D) Anything else that the forum members suggest.

Are there any other players that have non-anamorphic scaling and PQ as good as the RP91 for less than $400? I don't want to spend anymore than that, especially since I paid $599 for my RP91 2 years ago.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I would especially like to here from people who have replaced their RP91.

Thanks,

Vlad

2. Sean^M

Sean^M Stunt Coordinator

I know someone with an RP82 for sale if you're interested, I could pass along contact information.

3. STLMIKE

STLMIKE Stunt Coordinator

I've got both an RP91 and a JVC 7 disc that does non-anamorphic scaling. While I haven't had problems w/either, JVCs don't exactly have a stellar quality rep...just really hate watching a non-anamorph widescreen DVD stretched...

I got the JVC for under $300 about a year ago...I'm sure they're cheaper now.

Mike

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I replaced my RP91 w/ a Bravo D1. If your TV has a DVI input this player may be the way to go. It window-boxes 4:3 content the same way the RP91 does and has a zoom function that's ALMOST as good as the non-anamorphic scaling of the RP91, although it cuts off about 5% on the left and 5% on the right. I'm definitely able to accept this for the amazing PQ from the 1080i upconverted output. Being able to play DIVX and XVID encoded files from the computer on CD is also very nice. The player is a little quirky though and sometimes won't load a disc the first time. Powering down then back up will take care of this 99% of the time. Also, if you have a pioneer receiver, the Bravo can react unpredictably to some of the Pioneer's remote functions. Sometimes when I change the volume on my 43TX the Bravo will stop, open, skip ahead a chapter, or fast forward. This happens about once every 10 movies or so and i've almost completely eliminated it by putting the receiver on the bottom of my rack and the DVD at the top, and pointing the Pioneer remote directly at the receiver when i'm using it. All in all it's a great $200 player

If you don't have a DVI connection on your TV the LITEON LDV2001 would also be a good choice. It does everything the D1 does, but also up-converts to 720p or 1080i over regular component video. It also has alot less bugs (very few loading problems, no pioneer remote reactions). It can be had for under $150 shipped online and i think Dell is going to be carrying it for around $130 shipped.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

5. STLMIKE

STLMIKE Stunt Coordinator

These RP91/scaling threads got me thinking, and I bought a second RP91 (this time in black). I'll keep my gold one in reserve in case it craps out.

I just hope the black one's firmware is updated (I lucked out w/my first one).

6. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

LiteOn LVD-2001 -- can scale non-16x9 DVDs, plus upscale all DVDs to 1080i. $150.

7. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Thanks guys.

The LiteOn seems interesting. Where can I find one?

8. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

got mine from newegg.com; $150 shipped.

9. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Just got one for my parents from Dell.com for $146 shipped. Would have been $136 shipped but my parents are in TX, one of the states where Dell collects tax.

Why so cheap? Dell is running a 10% off promo right now for software and accessories. Plus, you get free ground shipping, and most states do not have tax added either.

10. mike_frontier

mike_frontier Supporting Actor

Check out the Yamaha DV S5650 .

I replaced my SD-3750 with this bad boy and works out like wonders.

It even converts NTSC to PAL disks (vice versa).
    Also there is a region free hack avaliable. [​IMG]

This dvd player is progressive scan.

The only thing I do not like about mine is there is not eject button on the remote and to scan at differnt speeds like 2X etc... you have to hold down the >| button on the remote to activate the scan and then tap it couple more times to get differnt speeds on dvd searching.

Check out this excellent review I found:

http://www.yamaha.ca/av/future_shop/...50_article.asp

11. Brett G

Brett G Stunt Coordinator

My RP91 is still working, but I just ordered the Lite-on LVD-2001 to go with my 65H80 (no DVI). I haven't received it yet, so no firsthand info, but if your display is component only (no DVI), can display 1080i natively and you really want the scaling of the RP91 (extremely important to me), then this is one of your few choices.

From what I've been reading, most seem very happy with the 1080i picture. Add to that the fact that this converts PAL to NTSC (and vice versa), is region-configurable, disables macrovision and has a memory card reader, this player seems like a steal for $133 shipped from Dell. If you don't like it, all you'll be out is return shipping to Dell.

Just my two cents...

-Brett

12. WesleyHester

WesleyHester Stunt Coordinator

John Hester
    I have a Panasonic RP-91 and just got a LiteOn LVD-2001.

After adjusting, I was able to get the LiteOn's 1080i picture very close to the RP-91's 480p. I wanted to use the LiteOn's 720p but it looked too dissimilar from its 480i, 480p and 1080i output on my RP HDTV.

It's true that the LiteOn's 1080i looks good. At 1 to 2 feet from the screen, scan lines are gone. However; after comparing the two, I have a greater respect for great quality 480P also. I personally think they are both great in their own ways actually. From the correct viewing distance, they both look somewhat similar.

I've had the pleasure of enjoying the RP-91's stellar 480p far too long to be overly impressed with the LiteOn's 1080i. It isn't like going from VHS to DVD or Interlaced to Progressive in my opinion. It is more like seeing another version if you will.

Long story short: I'll be replacing my RP-91 with the LiteOn in my component rack but I'll be keeping my RP-91 close by.

The LiteOn does display 4:3 material correctly and automatically - no setting like the RP-91. The LiteOn's Zoom has a very good quality. Over 1X the quality falls off mainly because of DVD picture's quality in general - the zoom can't make things look better than they actually are.

Yes, one touch of the Zoom and widescreen, non-anamorphic DVDs look and play great on "lock-to-full" HDTVs. Only one thing: pressing review, forward, previous or next takes the player out of Zoom and the Zoom button will have to be pressed again.

Other LiteOn info:

It has refused to load a few times, I just simply had to open and close the tray to fix it.

No chroma upsampling error.

Can pass "below black" in all progressive scan modes too.

Firmware upgradeable (love that about the RP-91 too).

Remote is pretty good for this price point.

The player has Brightness, Contrast and Saturation adjustments but they are very coarse.

Region selection, macrovision toggle and PAL/NTSC conversion are all great.

Drive speed not the fastest but not the slowest either.

In summary I personally can't really pick one player over the other. I think they both have their strengths and weaknesses. Seeing DVD at 1080i has made me realize that (1) it ain't HD and (2) great 480p quality ain't bad either.

13. Dan Marchewka

Dan Marchewka Stunt Coordinator

I replaced my RP-91 with a Bravo. I use an Pioneer Elite 530HD. The difference was night and day between the two. The Bravo was head and shoulders above the Panny. If you have a DVI input, I would go with the Bravo. Even with it's few glitches, it is a great player. I have had mine for about six months and have not had any problems what-so-ever with it (knock on wood).