What's new

What to put behind the walls for basement home theater? (1 Viewer)

Knock Wood

Auditioning
Real Name
Sarah
Hi, I'm new to the forum and to home theater setup. I'm in the middle of a basement remodel and need some advice. The setup I'm going for includes the following:

[*]Wall mounted LED Smart TV
[*]Dish network Hopper
[*]Blu-Ray Player
[*]Onkyo HT-S7400 5.1 Receiver/Speaker Package
[*]Nintendo Wii
[/list]
Before the drywall goes up I'm trying to figure out what cables to put in the walls HDMI, speaker wire, etc. and the best way to do it. I was considering just purchasing basic electrical boxes and connecting them with smurf tubing, but I'm open to all suggestions. Let me know what other information would be useful for you to help me. HELP PLEASE! Thanks in advance.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Knock Wood said:
Hi, I'm new to the forum and to home theater setup. I'm in the middle of a basement remodel and need some advice. The setup I'm going for includes the following:

[*]Wall mounted LED Smart TV
[*]Dish network Hopper
[*]Blu-Ray Player
[*]Onkyo HT-S7400 5.1 Receiver/Speaker Package
[*]Nintendo Wii
[/list]
Before the drywall goes up I'm trying to figure out what cables to put in the walls HDMI, speaker wire, etc. and the best way to do it. I was considering just purchasing basic electrical boxes and connecting them with smurf tubing, but I'm open to all suggestions. Let me know what other information would be useful for you to help me. HELP PLEASE! Thanks in advance.
I always tell everyone to make sure at least some of their wire is Cat6, to every single location.. it's a future proof way to get movement later. Beyond that, don't worry as much about what goes in it right now as how to do it. You can find full body in-wall conduit. Run one or two and pull several pull strings. It will make later access easy if you need to upgrade. Beyond that, the question with HDMI will depend on if your devices are at a distance from your display (closet etc.) If they are close, just get short hop HDMI and one primary HDMI to your display. Run your speaker wire planning on 9 speaker locations and 2 subwoofers. You may not deploy all of them, but it helps future proof you should you decide to.

Using Electrical boxes is not a bad idea; it's a cheap functional idea, actually.... I almost went that way. Depending on your budget, it's not that bad. I would tell you, actually that someone almost talked me into using Hole-House Vaccum box-ends. It's a nearly perfect consealable trap that can stays flush and hides pretty well.

Just plan it out and commit to it. Balance your cosmetics with your budget and you'll be happy

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
One thing you "could" do to make this easier...get the "Wii to HDMI" adapter.

I second running conduit, makes future enhancements easier(HDMI 2.0 is coming...).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Conduit was recommended to me here, instead of HDMI prewire. Speaker wire isn't changing, so you're safe there. Be sure to put in AC outlets where you need them. Also one in the ceiling if you're planning on a projector. I pre wired Cat5e (it's what the installation company did). Do cat6 if an option. I skipped soundproofing in the ceiling. I wish I'd done it now, but so it goes :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks