What to make of these Component Cable Specs?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by ChrisYK, Feb 26, 2004.

1. ChrisYK

ChrisYK Stunt Coordinator

I'm a relative newbie and was wondering if anybody had any input on the following specs:

* Precision 75 Ohm Impedance for Maximum Signal transfer
    * Extended 1 GHZ Bandwidth
    * EMI-RFI Protected Double High-Density Shield
    * Triple RG-59 95% Copper-Braid Shielded Conductors
    * 95% Spiral-Wound-Shield Audio Conductors
    * 24K Gold Plated Heavy Duty Connectors

Thanks!

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Well the "Extended 1 GHz" bandwidth is a little funny. The Canare/Belden coax that we know/love has what is known as the -3db bandwidth at about 100 Mhz.

This is even stranger as they specify that the cables are RG-59 rather than the RG6 which has a little more bandwidth.

The "95% Spiral-Wound-Shield Audio Conductors" is also a bit funny. Why are they talking about Audio Conductors on a component video cable?

Call the company and see if they will give you a frequency-response chart for the coax, or if not, at least tell you where the -3 db frequency is.

3. KurtBJC

KurtBJC Agent

Those specs are, as Bob notes, a bit odd. Normally one doesn't see 95% coverage on a spiral "serve" type shield, but meanwhile there's also reference to a braid shield. Is this a bundle of both audio and video cables?

The term "bandwidth" doesn't, in itself, mean much without details; an attenuation chart or table would tell you more. But you don't really need that whole GHz unless you're doing something like SDI anyhow, and the more important spec--impedance tolerance--is missing. I'd see how close the cable is supposed to be to 75 ohms, and what the actual attenuation specs are. The manufacturer might be able to provide you with a full spec sheet, which would be more helpful.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

As connections between say your DVD and TV they should do fine so long as the center conductor is 100% copper. Seems like it's triple shielded with one of those likely being a 100% foil. Attenuation losses can be estimated by using a variety of published RG59 data. As a general guide, consider the following.
    [​IMG]

5. ChrisYK

ChrisYK Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies, guys.
    I, too, thought the mention of audio conductor was a bit strange.

Oh well, I'll try them out and see how I like them. I can always return them if I don't like what I see.