What's new

what to look for in a speaker (1 Viewer)

mark$!

Auditioning
what do i need to look for in a speaker?
what makes a speaker good? also does the term rms when regarding to watts mean the total watts or continuous

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit
I agree. Look for what sounds best to you in your room.

And don't buy from the guys in the white vans. :laugh:

John S

Senior HTF Member
I can tell you what I listen for in a speaker...

I listen for equal volume across the entire music spectrum, the term for this is called "Flattness" believe it or not..... lol

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i thought that was called dynamic range? ;)

when it comes to speakers.

1. listen to everything, whether you can afford it or not
2. try to bring your own music...stuff you're familiar with
3. listen for the soundstage. can you tell if some instruments seem to be closer (or farther) then other instruments. is there any "physical depth" to the music?
4. does the music seem flat, pushed up against the wall? or does it sound open, like it's being "broadcast" from the speaker.
5. is the music closed in, or does it seem to expand broadly across the front
6. do you hear the entire range of music, from the highs to the lows? or does the speaker sound muffly?

and most importantly....

7. TRUST YOUR EARS ... IF THEY SOUND GOOD TO YOU THEN GO FOR IT!

read our beginner's faq - some good stuff on speakers....

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

"Flatness" refers to frequency response. Dynamic range is a totally different animal, and has to do with volume level capabilities, and resistance to dynamic compression, etc. IMO, speakers should be relatively flat in response, but this does not by default make them sound better. In the end, its your ears that count, and how you listen to YOUR types of music that makes the difference. The numbers and data and specs first off are usually grossly inadequate to quantify their measured performance, nor do they really tell you how things sound to you. I've yet to see any attempt at quantifying sounstage and imaging with numbers.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Chris, your explanation and post is right spot on.

I agree, that is why I posted "This is what I listen for", some people like/need speakers that may emphasize Bass and/or mids and/or highs. Just the nature of preference for sure.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
oh..now i get what you were saying john. i saw "across the spectrum" and instantly thought of range.

i agree that a flat response is preferred ... but when is the last time you saw an even semi-remotely flat graph? :laugh:

John S

Senior HTF Member
On my own system Ted Lee. Denon 4802 and JBL s38's all the way around, I am shocked at the flattness of the setup. At 1 meter it is very flat. I just happen to own an Oscilliscope and a tone sweep generator from old live sound and studio sound days gone by. I decided to play with it all one weekend a few years back.

That is why I love those JBL S series so much, and the very reason some people don't like them at all.

Serious flattness like that is not something that is encountered that much. To some it sounds dull.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks