What's new

What to look for in a receiver? (1 Viewer)

RobLJ

Stunt Coordinator
Pardon my ignorance, I'm going to get my first reciever to start my HT in the next couple of months. It's a smaller room, so I'm going to stick to 5.1. I see lots of votes for Harmon Kardon and Onkyo. A few questions:

1. Why do HK recievers seem to put out so much less power, but are still so reputable?

2. So if power isn't everything, what are the other features or specifications that I should be looking at?

Thanks for your help guys. I really appreciate it. :emoji_thumbsup:

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
They don't put out less power rather HK rates there receivers more honestly than anyone else.

One thing I know I have read alot about HK is that they have excellent customer service. That is definitely a big deal if something ever does go wrong.

RobLJ

Stunt Coordinator
Customer service is a good thing. :emoji_thumbsup:

They rate their equipment more "honestly"? So are the other companies lying or just being optomistic that their equipment will do 100wx5 on a good day? I'm not sure I understand. Thanks for the quick response though.

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
Rob,

Some companies rate their power at a specific frequency (e.g. 1 kHz) instead of over the whole range, or they might rate the power for stereo (but not for 5+ speakers). For instance, the rating for my Sony receiver looks like:

Stereo: 100W + 100W (8 ohms 20 Hz - 20 kHz)
Surround: 100 W/ch (8 ohms 1 kHz)

It's more misleading than dishonest...

Other features that might be important to you:
- ability to decode dts, dts-ES, Neo, 6.1, 7.1, etc.
- adequate number of inputs/outputs
- multi-channel inputs (for DVD-A or SACD)
- built-in sound fields (opera house, stadium, disco, etc.)
if you're into that kind of thing
- multiple room setup
- equalizer, level setting, other options for calibrating
individual speakers
- whatever other bells and whistles you care about

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit
DD & DTS are very good to have. :) Other than that there are lots of features of receivers, you have to decide what you like the best.

For me I look for Dolby (all) and DTS (all). I also look for a high number of digital (optical and coax) inputs, as well as a high number of component video inputs. Another thing is analog inputs for DVD-A and SACD.

I don't go for the built in sound fields.

This is just what I look for feature wise.

Also look for quality and if I like the sound of it.

This is just me, you have to figure out what is important to you and find something that fits your budget.

Then you will get the upgrade bug and look for the next HT purchase.....and what to replace....etc... :laugh:
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks