What's new

What to look for in a receiver (1 Viewer)

Omard.

Stunt Coordinator
I'm new to the whole HT experience. And I have been looking at different receivers and the whole experience is overwhelming with THX, DTS, 6.1, 5.1, 7.1. I'm lost. Can somebody help me with what I should look for in a receiver. All I want it for is movie watching. I have Bose 301 older version. Any help will be great as i am moving to a house soon and want to get a good receiver for my HT.

JoelTW

Stunt Coordinator
X.1 is simply X amount of speaker channels... 5.1 is your standard for DVD viewing... not sure how many/what speakers you have (5.1 is front left/right, center, rear left/right)

THX is a certification of "quality" (which doesn't necessarily mean they are the best)

DTS is a type of audio codec that a few DVDs use.

Joe Ku

Stunt Coordinator
I understand your situation as I just bought my first HT reciever last week after many hours of research
and trips to the local electronics stores to demo products.

The best way to approach the question is to determine how much you want to spend on a reciever first, that will help to narrow your choices conciderably and make the decision a lot less confusing. Generally recievers at a similar price point will have similar features.

You will get many different opinions on this board as to how each amp sounds and what sounds better. Don't take any of it too seriously or you will go insane. Let YOUR ears be the final judge, If you can't hear the difference between a $200 reciever and a $2000 reciever you can save a lot of money, of course if you can hear the difference you will never be happy buying the cheaper unit.

And remember too that your speakers are just as important if not more improtant than the amp. Your 301's would make decent surround speakers but I would steer away from Bose if/when you buy new front mains and center channel. At least the cube systems, the bass module does not play deep enough for a good HT experiance and I have heard them bottom out quite easily (1st hand knowledge, not hearsay)

I have rambled enough I think... Happy hunting

PS: I bought the Harmon Kardon AVR-525 if you care

Omard.

Stunt Coordinator
I'm currently using the Bose as my fronts and some Sony speakers for my center and rear. What speakers would you recommend? Is there any specific thing I should look for in the receiver? I would like to stay under a 1,000.00 for the receiver can i still get something good in this price range?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks