What to Look for in 27" Flat Screen TV??

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Chris:K, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Chris:K

Chris:K Auditioning

What are some things I should be looking for when purchasing a 27" flat screen? Also, what are some dependable brands for televisions?

- Chris

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Flat, 27", HD capable. Not a whole lot more you need to look for. How about a price range?

3. Chris:K

Well I'd like to keep it around $400. I'm also highly interested in a HT setup, but first things first, and I need a new TV. Plus I need to do a ton more research on HT setups before I even think about purchasing one. Anyway, what are some brands to keep an eye out for while television shopping?

4. Roy Bass

Roy Bass Auditioning

Vertical Compression (16:9 enhanced mode)to use all 480 lines(in most cases) within the actual viewing area. Other wise you're only going to get around 270 lines. I bought the Sharp 27F631 at Best Buy for around $350. It's nice tv for the price IMO. I heard the Sony models do the V-compression automatically but i think it only works with the S-Video input, i could be wrong though. With the Sharp you have to go into the menue to swith between 4:3 and 16:9, but it's pretty easy to get to. Just make sure you set your DVD player to 16:9 while using it. Samsung makes a 27" model that does 480p from all sources. It's considered an EDTV not an HDTV(480p and 1080i or even 720p). Circuit City sells them for around $450 i believe. Scan lines aren't that noticible on a 27" IMO, especially while using v-compresssion but you'd get better use of a quality progressive scan dvd player with a 480p capable tv.

5. Chris:K

Thanks for the reply! What is EDTV though? Also, I was looking at a Samsung 27" that looked really nice. How are Samsungs in the quality and reliability department? I'm basically looking for something that will last me quite a few years.

- Chris