What to listen for when comparing B&W CDM 9NT vs. N804?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Arnel Enero, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Arnel Enero

Arnel Enero Stunt Coordinator

I've been to the showroom comparing these two for several times now, and it seems that I still can't identify any significant difference between the two... at least nothing that I consider worth spending extra $900 for.

Many friends have been telling me there should be more difference than slight improvements in overall refinement, and the stunning aesthetics of the N804. So I don't know why after around 3 times comparing them, I still don't see the point.

So this coming weekend, I'm going to the showroom for my FINAL comparison, then I'll buy either the 9NT or N804, depending on what I hear. So please help me now, and tell me what the "easy points of comparison", if any, that will READILY tell the difference between these two B&Ws.

Thanks.

2. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

3. Arnel Enero

Gil D, thanks for the suggestions. Here's my response:

4. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Arne:

If you can't hear the difference, (1) buy the cheaper speaker, (2) go home and enjoy it, and (3) don't worry about what anyone else says.

Larry

5. Arnel Enero

To add more to all this confusion, my non-audiophile (female) friend told me that the CDM 9NT looks better: more classy, much more like a piece of furniture than the "strange-looking" N804. I don't quite agree with her, but other friends who came along when I visited the showroom actually agreed with her... they even thought the 9NT was the more expensive one. Well, they just didn't look real carefully, I guess.

But anyway, this issue about aesthetics doesn't really matter to me. Just sharing the story.

6. Karl L

Karl L Agent

I just picked up a pair of 804's last night, and couldn't be any happier. Compared to the 9nt's the 804's sounded more refined, albeit with a little less bass. This is fine since I just picked up a Hsu vtf3 to handle that duty. As far as an aesthetic comparison between the two...there is no comparison! In red stained cherry wood, the 804's truly are a thing of beauty.

7. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Arnel,
    Tonality is everything. The Sonus do not have the treble extension of the B&W nautilus tweeter and the "open" highs. Although the homes improved upon this and my Signums are more bright than my Concertos.
    What were you driving the Tinos with? I noticed the veil when comparing receiver vs amplifier driven.
    I also agree with your friend the CDM9 in cherry is gorgeous. I also prefer the Nautilus tweeter buried half way in the cabinet. The tweeter on top of the N80x looks like a microphone to any kid walking by.
    Perhaps the Classe nullify some of the slight advantages of the N804 over the CDM9? I sold my B&W's to upgrade to CDM-NT. If I could not have told the difference between the N804 and CDM9nt I would have bought the CDM9 in a heartbeat. Unfortunately for me the N804 was out of budget [​IMG]
    Do you plan to use the CDM9 & 1NT as part of an HT? The CDM setup is great for HT also.

8. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

Ultimately, it's your decision. When I had the opportunity to purchase 804s for the price of 9NTs, I couldn't say no. I use them in my dedicated music system.

The best way to sum up the differences between the two lines, IMO: with the 804s, there's more there. More depth, more detail, more of a feeling of a live performance.

That doesn't mean the NTs aren't a good speaker. I use CDM 1SEs in my HT and love them. You have to decide if the price difference is worth it to you. I know, it ain't easy.

9. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

10. Arnel Enero

11. Yoon Lee

Yoon Lee Stunt Coordinator

Bring some classic CDs that you're familiar with when you audition them. It's easier to identity differences with classics than rock musics that're mixed to sound decent even on boomboxes.

12. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

IMO and after much auditioning, the difference is there but it is not huge. I opted to get the 9NTs and use the money I saved elsewhere in my system, but I certainly couldn't fault someone for springing for the Nautilus'. Both lines are excellent.

DJ

13. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

I currently have the CDM7NTs (for sale on ebay) and am getting the 804s real soon (and my dad owns the CDM9NT), to be real honest, I am getting a great deal on the 804s and if I wasn't I don't think I would buy them until I had a lot of extra money laying around. Having said that, the 804 is slightly better than the CDMs (not significantly as some have said). If you can't hear the differnce, go 9, if you can, go 804s. btw, my wife doesn't like the CDM look nearly as much as the 804.