What's new

What to get? Paradigm Studio 100 v2 vs 60 v3 (1 Viewer)

PaulWY

Grip
I've caught holiday upgraditis and would like to move up from my Paradigm Monitor speakers. On the way home from work today I stopped by my dealer to check out their annual Christmas/boxing day sale.

The dealer has available a previously owned (for a few years) pair of Studio 100 v2s that he will sell to me for about $1400 CAD + taxes. No blemishes and sales person said physical operation was flawless.

On the other hand, the dealer also carries the new Studio 60 v3s. If I factor in the Christmas/boxing day discount, the price is about $1500 CAD + taxes. Brand new still in box.

I didn't have any cds with me for auditioning because I decided to stop at the store out of the blue, but I will be going back this weekend to do some listening and compare the two. I wanted some opinions from other forum members until then. What deal do would you go for? What differences should I expect between the 100 v2 and the 60 v3?

WayneO

Supporting Actor
I recently listened to some studios as well on a whim and compared them to the Monitor 11's, which I have along with 7's and a CC370, thinking of upgrading. I didn't listen to the 60's but both v.2 and v.3 100's and Monitor 11's. I consider myself an average/intermidiate listener. Based on that experience, I found the v.2 100's best. What stood out to me was that the 2's put out noticeable more low end frequencies and the highs seemed cleaner to me, maybe brighter? Can't think of anything in particular about the midrange. The v.3's seemed flatter sounding all around, but both studios made the Monitor 11's seem more "airy" or "thinner" to me. Both studios showed the Monitor's bass to be "bloated" sounding in comparison as well. I still find my Monitors good speakers in their price range though.

When I sit and think about it, I would really like to get the studios home in my room, it has wood flooring and not much absorbant decor, cause I do find my Monitors a little bright in that environment and the studios may fare better there.

I was offered brand new v.2 100's for $1650 out the door which I would have jumped on if not for the fact I bought my Monitors at another dealer and therefore couldn't trade them in for full value. My dealer had no v.2's. :frowning: Well based only $100 difference, even though I like the v.2 100's more, I'd lean to the v.3 60's, just cause they're new. If you have a decent sub, then no doubt get the 60's. I didn't get to listen to them, but I'm sure they'll lack the low end punch of the 100's and the sub can fill in. But as everyone says, your ears will decide which is best for your money. Good luck deciding, I'll probably be getting the 60's, 40's and CC470 in a half a year or so before my trade-up period expires.

PaulWY

Grip
WayneO,

If you were able to get the 100 v2 brand spanking new for $1650 out the door with full warranty, it doesn't seem like my deal for the used 100 v2s is very good.

Maybe I'll just get the 60 v3s. I don't have a subwoofer at this point, but was planning on getting one down the road once I saved up enough coin... one step at a time here for me. :)

Nick V

Second Unit
That price on the 60v.3's looks pretty good, but the price on the used100v.2's doesn't look so hot. Maybe you should try to talk the dealer down a couple hundred on the 100's.

P.S. Are the 100 v2's finished with the laminate or veneer?

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Paul, his $1650 is US not CAD. I would go with the 60's over the 100's especially if your using a sub and most of the use is HT. You may also want to look into the 40's with stands. I was able to get my 40/20/470(all v3) for 15%(tax) off and 2pr free stands. Awesome speakers.

Kevin

PaulWY

Grip
Nick V, the 100 v2s are laminate. Being Paradigm's former flagship model, I had high hopes. What would you suggest is a fair price then?

Kevin, are you sure that's $1650 USD? That would work out to over $2200 CAD right now... even I can see that's an awful deal. You said the 60 v3 would be a better deal if I'm using a sub, but I won't be picking one up for quite a while. I wouldn't be surprised if I had to wait up to a year after I purchase new speakers until I can get a sub. For this reason I'm going to compare based on performance without a sub. They'll be used for 80% music.

Michael, could you expand on your comment about the sound difference?

Let me phrase the question another way for everyone. If the used 100v2 and new 60v3 were the same price, which one would be the better deal? So far it sounds like the 60v3 would be, because they are newer and come with the warranty.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
If it's 80% music - I would go for the 100s. Even w/ excellent crossover adjustments and etc etc. Music coming from a single pair of speakers vs integrating 2 monitors w/ a sub, the music will sound more coherenet in the pair due to the better frequency curve.

Actually - As for your 2 options, the funny part is that you would be able to integrate the newer CC-570 w/ the OLDER 100s b/c of both sharing the 3 way drivers while the lower CC-470 will work better w/ the 60sv3. So I say the 100s will still work better as you move towards an HT setup.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
What do you plan on powering those things with? The 100s are much more power hungry than the 60's. I wouldn't think of putting the 100s on a receiver. It would not do them any justice. I have a pair of 60s v.2 on my 3803 for stereo only, and it is a stretch for the receiver. I am sure a dedicated amp would open them up.

PaulWY

Grip
Hey Guys,

I didn't know that about the cc-570 and the 100 v2s. I'll keep that in mind when making my decision. Out of curiousity, what speakers to you have Ernest? Nick? Michael?

As for power, I'll be using an Anthem MCA-2, 200 watts per channel. This is one reason I want to upgrade my speakers, the amp is yearning for something more than the Monitor series... at least that's my perception. :D

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Paul, I have to apologize here... I haven't ever had the chance to listen to a Paradigm speaker. I just sort of assumed the Studio 100 is a slightly better speaker. After all, it is a 3 way with a dedicated midrange, and a larger cabinet tuned to a lower frequency. Also, there are more reviews from reputable sources, including Stereophile which verified the speaker's performance with a comprehensive set of measurements. I have not seen this kind of attention paid to either version of the Studio 60s.

Your amplifier will work fine with almost any speaker.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Quote:
Kevin, are you sure that's $1650 USD?

His profile has him residing in Chicago so I'm assuming US prices. Also prices in the US tend to be the same as in Canada but in US dollars. One reason people close to the border come across to buy.

Quote:
Let me phrase the question another way for everyone. If the used 100v2 and new 60v3 were the same price, which one would be the better deal? So far it sounds like the 60v3 would be, because they are newer and come with the warranty.

I've never heard the Studio 100's(v2), but have read may reviews and posting that state these are excellent speakers. Now I do own Studio 40/20/470(v3). They are powered by a Rotel RMB-1095 and the sound they put out is amazing. You honestly have to sit down and listen to both to make your decision. The dealer should offer the balance of the warranty on the 100's?? As far as 40 vs 60 the only real differences between the two are the Low frequency extension and the fact that the 60's are floor standing. If you could get your dealer to give you the deal on the 40's that I got then you could save some money for a sub. I got the 40's for $1400CDN(tax in) and free stands.

Kevin

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Hey Paul - I currently own v2 40s, v2 CC, (working on a deal for 100s presently), and they're running FANTASTIC on my Rotel 1066 + Sherbourn 7/2100!

WayneO

Supporting Actor
You've figured it out, but I'll clarify it was $1650 USD. When I got the guote it was like $1523+tax or so.

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Here's my two cents as someone that recently bought Paradigms. Here's my situation:

I am 100% HT and have a SVS PB-2 sub. I listened to both the 100's and the 60's paired with a cc-570 (for the money vs the 470 is the route I would go-it can be paired wiht the 60's or 100's per Paradigm's literature). The 100's are fantastic-big full soundstage. The 60's were very good, when pair with a sub, I didn't hear a difference between the 60's and 100's...without a sub, the 100's had very tight nice bass-the 60's not so much.

If you are 80% music and no sub....go with the 100's. I would consider the 570 over the 470.'

Ron

PS: My dealer was selling the new 100's for $1,999. At 1,500+ for the v2's it's a fair deal, but not a great deal. I see most used 100's got for 1,200 on average...so for $300+ more you get a brand new pair with warranty...that seems fair. If they were demo's I would think $1,200 would be the price.

PaulWY

Grip
I finally got a chance to go back to the dealer to compare the speakers. The used 100 v.2s were no longer available, but I was a little unsure about them anyways (consignment item, no warranty).

After 2 hours of fun (or 2 grueling hours for the girlfriend :D ) with the 100 v.3, the 60 v.3, and the Signature S8, I ended up getting the 100s. I found overall (mid-range, high-end, and bass) the 100s were better than the 60s. To me, the S8s (magnificent looking speaker!) had slightly better bass extension, but the mid-range and highs were almost similar to the 100s.

Note that when listening to the 100s, there were no other speakers around. When it came time to switch, I had the dealer wheel in the 60s and he placed them right next to the 100s in the ABBA configuration with the 60s on the inside. I do acknowledge that this obstruction may have something to do with the differences I heard between the two.

They were all powered with the same Bryston amp. The dealer didn't have any 100s in stock, so I'll have to wait the standard two weeks to get them... can't wait!

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Paul, when you demoed the speakers did you run them both at small or large on the pre/pro? In Large mode its understandable the 100's would beat out the 60's. 3 vs 1 on the bass drivers is no match. When you did the demo I think you should have run a 100's vs 60's +sub test in small mode to be fair. I'm not trying to knock your decision, but you may have been happy with a 60's +sub combo for the same price as the 100's.

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks