What to get for my Mits 65807 (sat. or cable)?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Timon Russo, Mar 27, 2001.

1. Timon Russo

Timon Russo Stunt Coordinator

I want HD. And I want local stations. I also have a second TV (non-HD) that would need to be connected.
    My local cable company, Adelphia, offers digital cable, and would give me (loan me) the decoder box. This would be a pretty simple solution and would give me all the stations I need, etc. but no HD. And there is no OTA HD in Burlinton, VT.
    So if I were to step up to a satellite service, which should I get, and what new components would I need to connect it, and could I get local stations and do I need a special dish to get HD AND regular digital signals?
    Thanks.

2. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Well, I would recommend a satellite system. They are cheaper in many cases and you will get HD now. Since you will be a new subscriber you can get all kinds of deals on equipment and programming. I have Dish so I will educate you with this provider.
    You will have to buy the Dish 6000 receiver system. The 6023 is a good set. You will have 2 dishes, one of which is for HD. The 6023 system comes with the 2 dishes and the one 6000 receiver. You can get deals that include an additional receiver for another TV at Dishdepot.com and others. This will cover you for another TV.
    Right now DishNetwork seems to be more dedicated to HD and does have an one additional HD channel (Showtime) over what DirectTV offers.
    You can either subscribe for locals through Dish if they offer them in your area. You can also buy an additional module for the Dish 6000 receiver that will allow you to add locals to your on-screen Guide with an antenna. Dishdepot will also give a deal on this module if you are a new subscriber.
    C. Ryan
    ------------------
    http:\retrohome.domainvalet.com/Project5.jpg

3. Timon Russo

Timon Russo Stunt Coordinator

Thanks C. Ryan - that is a lot of good info!
    But to clarify a few things for me, if you could...
    Where should I go to find the DISH 6000 system, and when you say the 6023 is good, should I be looking for that instead?
    Any ideas on how I find out if I can get local stations on this thing?
    I heard something about a special shaped dish that picks up both SDTV and HDTV - any truth to this?
    Thanks again! If the initial investment isn't too substantial, this sounds like the way to go.

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I want to add a good word for dishdepot.com. They have great prices and great service. If your aren't handy with a compass and a screwdriver, you should check with a local Dishnetwork dealer.
    The 6023 is a package with the receiver, dishes and switches that you need.
    When you say local stations, do you mean HD or SD. You can check Dishnetwork's site to see if your local channels are being rebroadcast by Dish. If you asking about local HD channels being broadcast over-the-air, check www.titantv.com . Just put in your zipcode. You will also need an add-on module for the 6000 to receive these signals. If your asking about your local HD channels being broadcast over the satellite, it will never happen. No satellite provider has the bandwidth to do that for the number of markets they serve.
    You can get a dish that picks up both SD and HD satellite channels. DirecTV has their HD channel on one of their main satellites. DirecTV only had HBO HD and a part time HD PPV channel. Dish has HBO and Showtime HD and a full time PPV channel.
    I got my my 6023 package last July for under $400 (after rebates). I just need to get an HDTV.
    -Robert