What's new

What to get by Robert Johnson? (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I have it narrowed down to the Complete Recordings, or King of the Delta Blues.

There seems to be the 1990 release and 1996 release of the Complete Recordings (from Amazon):

# Audio CD (August 20, 1990)
# Original Release Date: August 28, 1990
# Number of Discs: 2
# Label: Sony
# ASIN: B000002757

# Audio CD (October 8, 1996)
# Original Release Date: October 8, 1996
# Number of Discs: 2
# Label: Sony
# ASIN: B000002ADN

But then here in allmusic's description of the King of the Delta Blues, they say:

This 16-track single-disc compilation gathers up the best-known tracks from the two original volumes of King of the Delta Blues Singers for a nice entry-level collection of Robert's best. Utilizing the latest in remastering technology, these recordings have never sounded quite this clear and full-bodied before, and the difference between this and the first pressing of the Complete Recordings box set is quite noticeable.
So my thought process is that the 1996 version of the Complete Recordings might have a later mastering than the 1990 release. Why am I getting hyper? :) I'd like the improved mastering of King of the Delta Blues, but it doesn't have Milkcow's Calf Blues, but the Complete Recordings does. (Can't get away from the fact that Aerosmith did Milk Cow Blues on Draw the Line.)

Any thoughts?

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
Just get the remastered edition of The Complete Recordings, since it has the same songs and the same sound quality as King of the Delta Blues, plus extra tracks.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
The Complete Recordings
In the 60s when Clapton, Jagger/Richards, Mayall, Plant/Page etc. were listening to Robert Johnson, they were doing it on an LP. Still, it impressed them to the point that we soon got the British Blues Invasion.
One of the neat things about the box set is the lyric sheet is perfect down to the last syllable.

George See

Second Unit
Looks like you've already made up your mind but Definently get the complete recordings. Aside from having well the complete recordings, it's also got a decent booklet that I found to be worth a read.

Speaking of The Blues has anyone seen/heard the Buddy Guy acoustic CD that supposedly came out on the 14th? I haven't been able to find it anywhere. At least not anywhere in upstate NY, I haven't tried the internet yet I like instant gratification when I buy music :)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I'll probably just burn a single CD with each "official" song, and put away the box set for safe-keeping. There is a CD out there called "29 songs" or something, but I'm nervous it won't have the best mastering.

Stupid thing, but what got me turned on to this guy was the Martin Scorses Blues thing, and there was a thread here on HTF a while asking about artists of the largest impact with only 1 record ever put out. I am thinking it's cool that the roots of rock and roll go back almost 100 years. :)

KrisM

Second Unit
Get the box. Making a single disc out of it is a great idea. Thats what I did. You can fit one version of each song on a disc. I really like the 'completeness' of the box, but listening to two versions of a song back to back is not something I enjoy.
George, I picked up the Buddy Guy disc back in August and really enjoy it. It is along the lines of Muddy Water's Folk Singer(which Guy played on and is an excellent album if you don't already have it). Rumour has it Buddy Guy is coming to town with an acoustic trio to support the album, which if true, I'm all over that show.:)

Regards
KrisM

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I agree with the 'reordering'; I made 2 discs- the 1st having all the 1st takes & the 2 with the remaining.
Kevin
I have quite a bit of blues on cd and lp next time you get up to the city.
Also a really great Blues LD from 68 that the CBC broadcast with muddy & memphis slim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks