What to expect from a SVS sub??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keir H, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Well since I have both a b-day and Christmas coming up, I was wondering about going ahead and hinting about a new addition to my home theater to my girlfriend. I am very well school on many reviews on this site and others now about the benefits of a SVS sub, but since I have a Sony SAWM-40 I've been thinking that I am "ok" on the bass end. Has anyone moved from that sub to a SVS? The pressure though is getting to me and I trust you guys..So, I'm leaning towards a 25-31 since I am in an apartment. The neighbors have not complain much about the Sony, but it does boom a bit even after modifications. Will they get the same hangin 'booooooom' from the SVS if the material has that type of bass? I hear that SVS subs start and stop. What does that mean? On a scale 1-10, what do you assess the improvement I'll get from a 25-31 over the Sony when I move it out of the corner? 16x20x8 rm. Def Tech BP30's to small. 100-150watt amp to drive it. Or should I stay with the Sony since it's a fine musical/HT performer.
    Yes, I know...but I need a little convincing! [​IMG] Thanks!

2. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

I've never heard the Sony, but from what I've read on this forum I take it that it is a small sub, but a good performer for its price. I am familiar with SVS, since I've had a 20-39PC since May. It replaced a Defitive Technology PowerField 1500, which I thought at the time was a good performer. The bottom line is that the DT and SVS aren't even in the same ballpark. I don't even think that they're playing the same game. The SVS is so much lower and louder. What it lacks is the boom I was accustomed to hearing from the DT. If my experience is any indication, what you'll hear when you get an SVS is real, true bass the likes of which you have never heard (or felt) before. Give it a try. You owe it to yourself and your neighbors.

3. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Keir- I've never owned the Sony, but I did audition it at Best Buy. I found it MUCH too boomy for my tastes. Listening to whatever music was playing at the time, it sounded like EVERY beat had a bass emphasis to it that simply wasn't accurate. I briefly owned a similar inexpensive sub a few years ago, and quickly returned it because it too was boomy. I ordered the SVS with a great deal of concern, because I do not like boomy bass. I want my music to be accurately reproduced, and not sound like the dragster with the pumped-up bass you hear blocks away. Well, the SVS is not boomy at all. For music, it's almost like it's not there at all. It reproduces the lower octaves properly, but it doesn't artificially emphasize them.
    You may find a period of adjustment necessary. Since the Sony tends to be somewhat boomy, you may think you're not getting bass at all with the SVS. You'll be getting bass, but you won't be getting boomy bass.
    I think you'd be very pleased upgrading to an SVS.
    Steve K.

4. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

I find the SVS to be very musical. I wonder if that may be the reason it blends so well with so many speakers.

5. Clark Rozier

Clark Rozier Agent

BLISS
    That about covers it [​IMG]
    Clark

6. AndrewW

AndrewW Stunt Coordinator

I've had the 25-31PC for a month or so now. I never knew bass like this was possible in a home theater eviroment. The only thing I don't like about it is, it rattles my house a bit too much, which I think takes away from the sound. Also, on SW:TPM THX 20hz-20KHZ sweep, I don't think it nears 20HZ. I don't have the time to do a more detailed review, but I do give it a big 10 out of 10. [​IMG]

7. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

SVSubwoofers smoke anything in their price range (this is a fact) . Now we are talking about a sub that costs 3 times less? Come on... I never heard the Sony, by the say its good... FOR ITS PRICE. I cannot be anywhere near the 25-31.

--

Holadem

8. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

On a scale of one to ten, you will notice a difference of 11 or greater. They are that good. The SVS is two or more steps above the Sony. Completely different leage. You may even consider getting the Adire Audio Rava rather than the SVS. Neighbors will see the SVS box and immediately have an "Oh no" thought.

9. RichardM

RichardM Auditioning

"It's 1 louder!"

10. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

It doesn't got to 20hz at all?? I thought I heard someone had theirs tuned to 22hz. SHouldn't that mean it should be audible down to 20hz at least?

11. David Giles

David Giles Stunt Coordinator

Hi Keir,

I made the transition from the Sony SA-WM40 to an SVS. I ended up with the SVS CS_Ultra and the Sony isn't even close in quality or quantity of bass. I haven't heard the 25-31, but I'm sure it sounds fantastic also. I've had the SVS hooked up for a few days now and have listened to it A LOT during those few days. Then, this past weekend, I "loaned" the Sony to my brother-in-law who just got a set of Bose Series VI cubes (I know, I know, but he won them in a sales contest, and if free, they aren't quite such a horrible deal). We set it up and I calibrated it for him. Well first let me tell you that the Sony made the Bose system sound a whole lot better than it normally does, at least on the low end (the Sony IS a decent sub, especially for $150).

BUT, (and this is a huge BUT), after several days of getting used to the SVS, I realized just how lacking the Sony was in CLEAN, TIGHT, ACCURATE bass. Especially down low!

Like SteveK said though, it may take a little getting used to at first. Well actually that’s after you turn it down a little. It’s fun to turn it up too much at first and try to destroy the walls of your apartment. But once you get the SVS properly located and calibrated, you may actually have the illusion of “less” bass as compared to the Sony, especially with music/movies without a lot of deep bass content. It won’t be boomy like the Sony can be. But it will be accurate, and will stay that way to MUCH higher output levels than the Sony could ever aspire to. And on movies or music with really low bass content - OH MY GAWD! You will all of a sudden hear, and FEEL bass that the Sony didn’t even try to reproduce.

None of this is meant to disparage the Sony at all. I actually got mine as part of a package deal, so I only paid $120 for it. And it sounded pretty darn good for that price. But the SV subwoofers are in a whole different class. I’d say on a scale of 1-10 for improvement, you’ll get at least a 9.

By the way, you said: “Will they get the same hangin 'booooooom' from the SVS if the material has that type of bass?”

Well, if the content “has that type of bass” (i.e. boomy), then the SVS will reproduce that boom. After a quick and dirty setup of my SVS (with little calibration), I threw in some movies to demo some bassy scenes. It sounded awesome, but occasionally, the bass would sound a little boomy or loose. But I quickly realized it was the movie soundtrack. When a movie explosion or other deep bass sound is simulated by a sound engineer, sometimes it’s quick and tight, and sometimes it’s just rumbly and boomy. Feed the SVS a good kick drum, and you’ll really appreciate it.

David Giles

P.S. I posted a thread on another forum this morning, and thought you might be interested.

-------------------

This was actually going to be a response to another thread, but I know there are lots of other people out there who might be looking into SVS and would be interested. So rather than bury this at the end of a long thread that wasn't originally about SVS, I decided I'd just start a new thread.

In the original thread (titled "Replace Definitive Pro-Tower 400 with ???"), SHOWARD was talking about his purchase of a Sunfire sub from a local vendor:

"Make sure you deal with a local vendor that has a great return policy in case you don't like your new setup. Speakers are one area where I never fool around with Internet or mail order guys"

My response:

In the past year, I've purchased an RPTV, DVD player, new receiver, center channel and surround speakers, all through local vendors. And just to hold me over until I could afford a better sub, I bought the Sony SA-WM40, also through a local vendor.

When it came time to get a serious sub I shopped around locally and listened to the Sunfire True Subwoofer Signature, Rel Storm III, and the Bagend Infrasub 18. They all sounded great. But after everything I've read about SVS, I did decide to "fool around" with these Internet guys. I ordered the SVS 16-46PC. WOW!! It sounded awesome after a little placement/calibration work.

But even though I rarely listen at reference levels, I did feel like the 16-46PC was straining just a little when I really cranked it up to near reference levels, and it even bottomed on me once when I tried to crank up the opening of Toy Story 2. In talking with SVS before I ordered the 16-46PC, this was exactly what they had honestly told me to expect (awesome sound/extension, but not quite reference level output in my room). I guess when I ordered it, I didn't think I'd care much about the highest sound levels (especially when trying to justify saving a little money).

After fretting for a few days, I finally decided that I'd better go all the way so that I wouldn't have any nagging "woulda, shoulda, coulda" feelings in the future. So I ordered the SVS CS-Ultra with a b-stock Samson S700 amp they had on hand, as well as an ART 351 EQ. The sound is just as awesome as with the 16-46PC, except that now it feels like I have infinite headroom. Not techically true of course, but I've yet to hear any signs of straining at any levels I can stand to be in the room with. With SVS's "great return policy", I've still got about 20 days to return the 16-46PC. I'm going to have to eat the shipping fees both coming and going. But even if you add that to my cost on the CS-Ultra, S700, and ART 351, that's still a little less than the Sunfire, Rel, or Bagend would have cost me at a "local vendor".

Now to be fair, it's possible that any of the other three mentioned might sound just as good, or even better in my room once properly calibrated. But based on the sound I'm hearing, and all the reviews, I seriously doubt it. The point of this post is not to say that the CS-Ultra is better than any of the others. I'll leave that to the experts The point of this long-winded post is that I've been extremely pleased with my dealings with these "internet guys". I wouldn't exactly say I didn't like my setup with the 16-46PC, but SVS's "great return policy" allowed me to get what I knew would keep me happiest in the long run (at least until I can add a twin CS-U!).

David Giles

12. David Giles

David Giles Stunt Coordinator

Keir,

I'm sure the 25-31 will go down to 20 Hz, just at a reduced dB level. My CS_Ultra is only "tuned" to 20, but it puts out respectably down as low as 16 Hz in my room (I have the ART 351's highpass set to filter out anything much below 16).

David Giles

13. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Keir,
    If we tuned a 25-31cs around 22hz...then you'd probably get very reasonable output around 20hz in your room. I don't think you'd scare a HGS18...but I don't think you'd be sorry you tried svs either [​IMG]
    The slow decaying *boom* might be a function of the source material? Think of real life...if a subway train blows by...it's not a *snappy* whap and then no bass. Same with thunder and stuff like that on the soundtracks. Now if you're experiencing a slow decay during musical transients like kick drumming(like VH intro to hot for teacher?)...it could be a problem with the subwoofer...or it could indicate a room induced response issue.
    TV