What To Do?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by John Galt, May 26, 2004.

1. John Galt

John Galt Auditioning

May 6, 2002
    I am curious what you would do. I am in the market for a Universal Player that I can have modified for better sound without having to spend thousands of $$$. I am mainly interested in audio ability rather than video ability. However, I will be upgrading my T.V. within the next year to HDTV and want something that can benefit from newer technology. I was considering the Denon 2200 but am not sure if Denon will be coming out with a replacement in the same price range. I also was considering the Pioneer DV-563A but have read mixed reviews. Any thoughts would be very appreciated.
  2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Jun 5, 2000
    Rachael Bellomy
    Forget the Pioneer![​IMG] The Denon's are nice. I have the 2900. Be aware that most of the mod's out there are for stereo only. I'd aim at the 2900 if I could and not worry too much about mod's, for now.
  3. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Aug 1, 2000
    Don't necessarily forget the Pioneer. Underwood Hi-Fi is offering a significantly modified 563a for not much more than the price of a new, unmodified Denon 2200. Some of the comments I've heard have it comparing very favorably to the unmodfied Maverick CD-25, which runs $1500. I had some concerns about the wisdom of modifying a sub $200 player because of the transport mechanism, but I've been assured that the Pioneer transport is actually very good.