What to DO???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Johnny_L, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Johnny_L

Johnny_L Auditioning

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to HT and was plannign to spend around 10K-12K on a HT system. Now I know that I wnat to get a projection instead of a plasma,(bigger for less), and other than that I have no clue. I was thinking either a denon or yamaha receiver, and not sure that kind of speakers. My friend has NHT and those sounded really nice but i dunno. PLEASE HELP!!!! thanks

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

your question is so broad it's almost intimidating. [​IMG]
    so, with a 12k budget, you should be able to put together quite a rockin' system.
    my suggestion is to break down your budget before you do anything else. figure how much you're willing to spend for each component. i don't know how much projectors are, but that will probably take a large chunk. your speakers probably will too. don't forget to factor in cabling and other accessories (calibration stuff, universal remote, etc.)
    regarding the gear. do you have any idea of what you're looking for? any special features you feel you need? if you're not up to speed, go to a b&m store and start checking stuff out. just take a look at what's available and try to get a feel for what you like. the salespeople will definitely want to sell you something. if you're up front and honest with them they'll probably be willing to dispense some "free" advice. just don't jerk them around.
    denon and yamaha make good gear. you may want to include onkyo, sony es and outlaw (www.outlawaudio.com) into that mix.
    also, with your budget, you may be able to get into separates instead. decide if that's something you'd be interested in.
    regarding the speakers. you absolutely must get out there and audition as many speakers as possible. you'll find that not all speakers (even at the same price point) sound the same. some may sound "bright" or "boomy" or whatever. the point is, if you like the way they sound, then that's what matters. remember that sound is subjective.
    there's just so many different speakers to choose from it's almost impossible to list them. check out the biggies (polk, infinity, klipsch, energy, jbl) and you should be okay. another well regarded (but less well known) brand is paradigm - a lot of people here really like them.
    sorry i can't be more specific as to particular brands and models, but hopefully this will give you a starting point.
    [edit] oh yeah...be *sure* to read the beginner's faq at the top of this forum. there's tons of good info in there and should help you get started.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Welcome to the forum Johnny.
    I have a lot of ideas but first, I have an assignment for you. What Ted mentions is good advice. As well, I want you to take a read through this article ... Front Projection - How do I select one for my needs?
    As far as speakers go, my personal preference leans towards Paradigm and PSB (both Canadian brands). You will find that this is the more subjective area of your system and you will get widely varying opinions.
    All I can say as a rough guide is that if I had $12K to spend on the whole system, I could see myself breaking it down as follows...
    - Receiver 1K - 1.5K
    - Speakers 2K - 2.5K
    - Cabling 1K
    - Video 7K - 7.5K (including screen, projector mount etc)

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Neil gave very sound advice. Ted also has some good ideas, but 10-12K really is quite a nice budget, and I think it would definitely be worth it to step above the "average" consumer brands.
    Yeah, those 4 make fine stuff, but you can probably do better. "Okay" is about right. You'll do okay with those, but not great. I'd run through the list of nice speaker brands, but it would run on forever. Paradigm would be a good start, and then branch out, or up, or whatever from there. Find what you like, and don't be afraid to listen at pricepoints you can't afford. I know for me, when i only had a few hundred to spend, I went looking around for speakers, and didn't hesitate to listen to speakers costing a few grand. And low and behold, I went in and listened to Paradigm Mini-monitors, a humble, $350 speaker that I could afford, and boy, was I impressed. Sure, it was no Dynaudio Contour 1.3 SE at $3,500, but it ran with many other speakers that were more than a grand. What you like in speakers will largely be subjective. I liked the 'digms more than the B&W 601s, which people rave about. Just my taste.
    Personally, I'm really into the music end of things, so the sound would be my goal number one. Neil has a very good recommendation for a more video-oriented type theater, although 1K on cabling seems quite steep(although, don't forget the room. The room is MUCH more imporant than cabling, and you'd be much better off spending a couple hundred or less on nice cables, and twice as much having your room acoustically designed.). If you limit the display more significantly, you can spend more on the audio end of the chain. That's all preference, and you'll have to find a knowledgeable high-end store, and spend some time(a lot of time) looking around, learning, and finding what you like. Maybe you'll spend almost everything on the video. Maybe it'll be mostly the audio end. Most likely it will be a compromise that only you can decide for yourself. Find the best brands, and pick out what you like from amongst them, and you'll end up with a very nice system. Whatever you do, don't find yourself shopping around in the "big box" type stores.

5. Johnny_L

Johnny_L Auditioning

what do you mean the "big box" type stores?

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I mean chain stores, and otherwise inferior/cheapo stores that sell average consumer stuff. (usually just huge, large boxes that are warehouse-like) Namely, Best Buy, Sears, Circuit City, Good Guys... etc. They can be useful for finding decent electronics, if you know what you are looking for, although you can afford better with your budget probably. FOr speakers.... they don't really stand up to nicer speakers carried in nicer stores. You don't find Revels, Paradigm, B&W, or (insert expensive damn nice speaker brand here) at Sears. They never have listening rooms that are worth your time, IF they even have that. Not to mention why bother trying to audition speakers in a store like that if their "best" brand is Bose. lol. Find a couple good specialty dealers near you, and shop around between them. You will have all the brands that the average consumer would otherwise never see, and you will have performance far higher as well. And don't forget that just because you are in a "fancy" store, that doesn't mean there aren't good deals to be had. They are also usually MUCH more knowledgeable than the "salespeople" at stores like Best Buy, and their whopping 10-second training.

And I like the laid-back atmospheres that many of these stores have. The salesmen usually can help to guide you towards what you want, and then let YOU decide what sound you like, rather than pushing flashy features and cool-looks.