What's new

What to do with unused packaging? (1 Viewer)

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I was thinking about this lately. I've been buying some multi-disc keep cases for some of my DVD's with "awkward" packaging. For now I have been keeping the empty original packaging next to my replacement cases. What does everyone else with their packaging?

Also, what movies do people find themselevs replacing? I've replaced Pearl Harbor Vista, Memento: LE, 24 Season 1, Evil Dead BOTD. I'm fighting the urge to replace the Sopranos and the Simpsons.

What does everyone else do? I know others replace all of their snappers. Isn't that kind of expensive?

Jimmy M

Second Unit
Adam, just go down the road to Card & Comic Co. (on Wilbraham Road) and buy a comic book storage box. The old cases fit nicely inside it.

Jimmy!

Daniel J

Stunt Coordinator
I cannot understand this mentality. I love the special packaging! It's one of the things that makes certain DVDs special.

I would sell them on E-bay if I didn't like them. (you could try the software classifieds on this forum too; some of those cases could get you decent money!)

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Special (odd size) packaging starts presenting problems when your DVD count gets rather high. Some take up way to much space, some are to large for the shelf, etc.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
My only 'unusual' packages are box sets for the Sopranos and Transformers. I just keep em on a shelf all to their own.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I'm fighting the urge to replace the Simpsons.
Holy Toledo man! Have you gone bonkers??!!
The Simpsons Custom cases are excellent! (IMO, of course. ;)) Or did you simply get a banged-up one(s)? THAT would suck.
But, in general, I think The Simpsons cases are about the best custom jobs out there now.
Anyway, how would you go about re-doing all the unique cover art all over the cases? (It'd be a shame to waste the "Homer sleeping on couch" image!)

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I've got a special shelf for all of the dvds where you can't read the title on the side. Actually, it's the floor underneath the bottom shelf. I haven't wanted to replace the cases on any of them yet.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I'm starting to get such a large collection of TV shows on DVD, that I'm gonna buy a new shelf set just for them. I keep all original packaging, even on the snappers that I have replaced. I just have them in a cardboard box, stored.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I can't stand "special" packaging. Loved "Evil Dead II" but hate the can. Does not fit in my DVD shelf. Same with "Wicker Man". Is there a market for "collectable" DVD containers sans DVD? I wish the gimmick package could contain a keepsake case with the DVD in it. Certainly the two examples I gave had the room. As far as I am concerned, "collectible" cases are collectible because it says collictible on the package.
Now, where to put my collection of "collectible" eight page booklets that MGM is always so thoughtful to provide.;)

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I have considered converting all my packaging to keepcases, but I kind of like the custom packages. The thing that has really stopped me is that I don't actually keep my discs in their cases. Therefore, the cases don't suffer a lot of wear and tear. If I kept the discs in them, however, I would definitely convert.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
If I kept them in the cases, it would mean that I would be opening them constantly. This can easily damage the cardboard cases (i.e. X-Files, Memento), so I would convert to all keepcases in order to preserve the originals. However, I keep all the discs in Case Logic binders, so my DVD cases just sit on a shelf and look nice. No need to convert to keepcases in order to preserve them.

Now my wife just wishes I wasn't so anal about this whole "DVD thing" as she calls it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks