What to do with Old TV?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by DanThomas, Jul 10, 2005.

1. DanThomas

DanThomas Agent

After many years, I am finally replacing my old TV. It's one of the first widescreen models available, but it doesn't support HDTV. It's a 40 RPTV.

My question is, does anyone have any ideas on what to do with the old TV? I do not want to keep it-- I want to get rid of it one way or another.

Any suggestions?

-Dan

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

If it still works why not donate it to the Salvation Army or another charity?

3. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I am getting rid of my old Mits. 46" RPTV...I bought a new SONY from a local TV store and the owner said that bar owners are always looking for big sets. He said he can probably get me $900-$1,000 for it. [​IMG]

4. jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro Second Unit

A 16 x 9 NTSC TV? I had no idea these things existed! I had heard of Pioneer making some 16 x 10 RPTVs years ago, but I thought they were HD ready.

5. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Proscan-RCA (before they went to hell) had 34 inch widescreen dirct view in the mid 90's. They were Improved Definition. That means they had line doublers. Essentially, progressive scan. I decided that there was simply not enough software to make it worth getting the 16:9 and got the 35 inch 4:3. They went all out with this thing. 6 speakers, audio equalizer, and just about anything else you could think of. S-Video is the highest quality input, but then what else was available in 1995?

6. DanThomas

DanThomas Agent

It's funny -- When I got the TW40F80, it was due in part to people on this forum recommending it. This was probably in 1998 or 1999. Now, nobody here even knows what I'm talking about. I gues I'm getting old! [​IMG]

7. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Why not check with the bars in your area? Apparently there are bar owners who are just dying to pay $1,000 for old RPTVs [​IMG]

If for some reason that doesn't pan out, first you could try to sell it on this forum. This will at least give you some idea of a ballpark.

Do you have any relatives who would like it? Perhaps you could donate it to Goodwill and use it as a tax write-off.

Otherwise, just sell it for whatever you can get. You got 6-7 years out of it, it doesn't really owe you anything.

What are you going to replace it with?

8. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

First, I remember your model and it was one of the first widescreen models out there. I also remember that was a pretty penny then. Anyway, contact not just the bars in your area also contact the firehouses as well. They love these big screen models in the rec room. Also Rehab centers and homes also would take it as well as churches. Lot's of people to donate to.

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

And what's not being said here is: Do not take the thing to a dump. Displays old and new are toxic menaces, not appropriate as landfill material.

10. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

Put it for sale in the paper or something similar. I know that folks are always looking for a tv for like a game room or kids play area. might get some decent cash for it. Other then that..donate it. I know that the local Salvation Army and Goodwill would be more then happy to take it off your hands...but you will need to deliver it- least thats the case in my area.

11. DanThomas

DanThomas Agent

Thanks, everyone! Good ideas.

-Dan