What's new

What to do with old PC junk? (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I've got an old shell of a PC with old stuff inside. Old 486 era crap like a Pentium Overdrive chip, some RAM, a VLB video card, and an ISA sound card. All in a nice big tower case with a beefy power supply. Motherboard is broke. It seems like a waste to just throw it in a dumpster; are there any other options? This is -far- from a working PC, but has some functioning old parts.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
There's not much value left in that system esp with the mobo broken so I'd toss it in the dumpster. Had it been running you could have donated it to a charity or something but at this point there's likely no one that would bother fixing it.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Everyone struggles with these issues, but it's best just to let go and toss it in the old dumpster.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Yep- at work I throw out stuff that's YEARS newer than that-- heck we pitch working P2 mobos and processors at this point-- let alone something from the 486 era.

-Vince

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
Rather than a Dumpster, most communities have free recycling programs for computer equipemtn, which can contain hazardous materials that shouldn't end up in a landfill. Call your local health department to find out if there is a recycling program in your area.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
lol, not just a few months ago i had an old 286 computer with monitor in my backyard...

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
I unwittingly gave an old 486 laptop to a friend, only to find out it still has wolf3d and ultima 7 on it...

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
You're not suppose to throw old PCs in the dumpster. Some of the components contain hazardous material. As already mentioned call around to find a recycle center.

Gary Neuwirth

Stunt Coordinator
There are precious metals in the computers. I smelt down hundreds of computers for the gold and platinum in them. So please ship your old computers to me!

I also sell bags of "chips" which taste pretty good.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Jasen, please have the courtesy to read more than the subject line before you post. :rolleyes

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Thought I'd post a follow-up. I got this email from my county when I emailed them:
You can take your old computer and peripherals to ServiceSource located on Edsall Road in Alexandria.* Please visit the organization’s website at www.keepitgreen.org for the address and hours of operation.* Fairfax County Recycling will also accept computers for reuse and recycling at our Recycling Roadshow to be held on November 15th at Herndon High School in the parking lot.* The event will be held rain or shine between 10 am and 4 pm and you can drop off your unwanted computer at that time.
Fairfax County recognized the need to facilitate the management of obsolete electronic equipment present in the community.* Fairfax County’s Solid Waste Management Program partnered with the Fairfax County Economic Development Authority to unite the resources of ServiceSource and Computer Donation Management Inc. to create the Keep It Green Program.* The Keep It Green Program uses staff from ServiceSource, an organization that finds employment for persons with disabilities, to dissemble computers for recycling and management by Computer Donation Management, Inc.* The recycling of the electronic equipment collected by the Keep it Green Program is also an important of the county’s pollution prevention program resulting in reductions of pollutants dispersed in the local area.
Because ServiceSource is a non-profit organization, all computer donations are tax deductible for residents who donate the equipment.* All equipment is accepted free of charge except for computer monitors with cathode ray tube screens. *A $7 donation for the proper management of the leaded glass in the cathode ray tube (CRT) found in most computer monitors is requested for each monitor. *
Pamela F. Gratton
Fairfax County
Division of Solid Waste Collection and Recycling
12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 466
Fairfax, VA* 22035-0600
703-324-5498
703-324-3949 fax
Recycle Right - It's easy to make a difference!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks