What to do with old HP toner cartridges?

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I bought a remfgr'ed one for $11 so now I have an official HP toner cartridge that came with the printer... Does anybody take them for free? I know staples seems to have a free shipping option but that is if you buy the new one from them.

I simply rather see if somebody can refill this one and sell it versus throwing it in the trash. Do you know anybody offers this service for free?

Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Ohh, thanks, I'll have to check out Office Max's website...

Funny, for reams of paper, I simply reuse old printouts (on the backside). As a software engineer, I'm always printing out code and stuff so I'll save them and bring the old printouts home and just print on the other side for most of my printing which is not important...

Jay

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Don't I hear that! I have a whole drawer full of "scratch paper" of just this kind. Sometimes, though, you need a blank sheet.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Well, I don't really use my inkjet printer to print pictures but more often than not USGS quads for hiking/bushwacking. I printed one after I installed the new remfgr'ed cartridge and I don't notice anything different. I put the printout in a ziploc to keep it dry though but I didn't really try to see how smudgeproof it is, nor will I know how long it will last as compared to a real HP cartridge. The price was right though... $11 versus like $36 for the real thing..

jay

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I brought my used cartridges to Staples (for recycling) and they gave me money off a new one. I don't know if they all do it, but I think it was $5.

Jay, so does this mean you are not only a psycho cyclist, but a psycho re-cyclist?

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay

heck, I might just be psycho!

I stopped by a Staples which was next to a Home Depot which I had to go to buy some CFLs last night and they gave me a $3 coupon towards a $3 purchase at Staples... I guess I could buy a new ream of paper for that amt but I don't need office supplies that often, I'll see what I can use with it.

Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
anybody know if Staples will take laser printer toner cartridges? I can get a ton of them from work and turn them into $3 staples coupons....

Jay

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
If Staples won't accept them, you can return them to HP free of charge. It's far better than just throwing them in the trash bin and let them end up in a landfill.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Georgiastevenson