What's new

What to do with old CRT? (1 Viewer)

hankscorpio

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
So I have the LCD now what do I do with my old CRT?
I have a 30" wide screen JVC. I'm guessing from craigslist that I might have trouble giving this away.
The picture quality is great (just not HD), I actually miss it a little when watching standard def on the new tv. It's roughly my weight and very deep so I can't exactly set it on a shelf in a bedroom or something. It's just too massive. Can I actually trick somebody into buying this from me? I offered it to my parents as it's bigger then there old 27" CRT but they didn't want it.

Any recomendations?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
It's widescreen, but not HD? Odd.

Anyway, you might look into your local goodwill. I know most of those will take electronics.

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
Originally Posted by SethH

It's widescreen, but not HD? Odd.
Ever heard of anamorphic DVD? Widescreen, standard definition, CRT TVs were a hot item once. Many were progressively scanned.

MikeSh

Stunt Coordinator
I've got the same issue. I have a 50" Toshiba front projector, non HD. Weighs 200+ pounds Have to figure out what to do with this old set before I buy a new 52" HD set.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I just asked around amongst friends and family and gave my 53" Panny CRT RPTV to my brother's brother-in-law earlier this year after buying a Sammy 61" LED-DLP RPTV. The old set did have a slight bit of image burn (from all those late-night 4x3 programming when I fell asleep on the couch ), but the brother-in-law loves it anyway as it's not that noticeable most times -- and only noticeable if you pay attention to it or have an eye for such things.

Woulda just donated it to the nearby nursing home, if they didn't already have a big RPTV, or to our church, if they had to space for it.

I still actually have our old 32" 4x3 CRT in the downstairs, back-of-the-house computer room (right nearby as I type this). Never got rid of it though it hasn't been used in ages -- we used to use it in the kids' playroom when they were still little, but the playroom has been converted into a 4th bedroom + the computer room in recent years. Maybe we'll just donate that set to the church or something.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks