What to do with old computer stuff

Discussion in 'Computers' started by MarkHastings, May 22, 2005.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

First off, I don't use eBay and really don't want to, so the question now becomes, what do people do with their old computers? I have an original PowerPC Mac (7100/66mHz) computer. I've got a bunch of accessories with it and since I am moving in less than a month, I am not sure what I'm going to do with it.

I may end up just setting it up for email, but the space it takes up may not be worth it to me. Also, if I don't end up using it, I'd hate for it to be taking up valuable storage space in my new place.

2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    Alot of folks donate them to their churches or Goodwill Industries. Salvation Army and libraries are good donation places too. With donations, you can write it off your taxes. Elementary schools or Daycare centers are good too.

It makes people mad when they try to sell old stuff, because they can't get as much for them, as they feel like it's worth. I think it's mostly sentimentality.

Good luck! [​IMG]

3. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    I usually donate my old stuff in one way or another. If it isn't to Goodwill or Faith Farm (a local charity that works to rehabilitate ex-inmates) then I give the stuff to people I know. I've cobbled together PCs from usable stuff like monitors and cases, with a few new parts where necessary, and given them to families that needed a first computer for a student (or a second PC so that the parent could use one. [​IMG]) And if I get sick of piecemeal upgrades to my current main system (which happens every couple of years) I'll give the whole PC whoever I know has the oldest PC - just because there's no way I'm going to get back enough by selling it to make the whole sales thing worth my while.

Regards,

Joe

4. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i dont know if you dont use ebay because you dont want to buy and sell things online, or you just dont like ebay. if it is the latter, you could go to craigslist and could sell it or give it away. not sure how far you are away from hartford, but there is a localized hartford craigslist site you can go to.

CJ

5. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

That would be it.

I'll check that craigslist site out, thanks!

6. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

In addition to wasting space, old computers can waste energy for the amount of work they perform, relative to newer ones. If you don't have a task that's suitable for the older computer, like running a server or custom firewall, don't keep it. (You can buy a firewall/router that is smaller, uses less electricity, makes no noise, and has lots of pretty lights for not much money.) Using it for email might seem OK until you have a file you might want to send or receive, and then you need your main computer. Same thing goes for surfing the net, to a lesser degree.

If you give the computer away, the computer may be of no value without software, and you may not be able to give away the software that is on that computer, especially if you've installed that software on your new one. Be sure to check with the charity to see what they need and what they will take. For example, to be useful, you could install a Linux distro. Don't burden the charity with your junk.

Be sure to wipe the drives first.

Last resort is recycling. Check with the local government or whoever does the the solid waste management in your area. They might have periodic events where they'll take whatever "e-waste" you have for free. (They should actually recycle or dispose of the stuff properly, instead of just dumping it in another part of the world.)

7. Mike_J_Potter

Mike_J_Potter Second Unit

If your into usenet check this out too, they will give you credit for old equipment. Plus the equipment goes to schools in under developed countries. I shipped back a old box full of stuff and got a 200.00 credit for service.

https://www.easynews.com/hardwaredonation.phtml