What's new

What to do with non-anamorphic extra features? (1 Viewer)

Rob Dawn

Stunt Coordinator
Got a new WS55313 and I was watching the extra features on the Stuck On You disk and have a question:

The deleted scenes appeared squashed vertically (the black bars were much thicker than during the movie and the people looked short and fat) so I'm guessing they were non-anamorphic?? What I'm wondering is what people do as far as Stretch Modes or whatever to view these kind of extra features correctly?

Thanks,
Rob

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
My Panasonic RP-91 DVD player automatically rescales the image, so that it displays as a 4x3 image with black sidebars. Other DVD players have this feature, which is really handy when watching 4x3 extras. Unfortunately, extras that show clips from the movie will be shown as letterbox in a 4x3 window with sidebars, making the image even smaller (but at least the correct aspect ratio). No fix for that unless they bother to flag the video correctly.

Dick White

Stunt Coordinator
There is no good answer. Most of the features are a mixture of 4:3 interviews and non-anamorphic widescreen clips. Auto mode results in stretched 4:3 portion and constant mode changing, which drives me nuts. I used to watch them in 4:3 mode and live with the clips being letterboxed and pillarboxed, but I have recently started watching in zoom mode, which clips the top and bottom of the 4:3 stuff. Most of the time, there isn't much lost, but occasionally there will be some text (like the name and title of the person speaking) that gets clipped. And since the menus tend to be anamorphic, I sometimes have to switch to full mode to navigate.

The other options would be to leave it in full mode and live with most stuff being stretched :thumbsdown: or to switch modes every time the format changes (also :thumbsdown: ). I wish the idiots who put this stuff together would be consistent. It wouldn't be that hard to pillarbox the 4:3 material and make it all anamorphic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks